We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 11
Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Just returned this morning from a seven night stay at the Riu Caribe (05/04-05/11) flying with Sunwing we went as a group of friends all mid-twenties. Ill post some reviews eventually but until then feel free to fire a couple questions at me.

Liverpool, United...
21. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Thanks what else do they sell in the store on site? Also is their vendors on the beach? And is it true that the hotel is actually only a 3.5 star as I was under the impression it was 4 star.

Calgary, Canada
22. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Trinkets, tobacco, pop, redbull, shirts, sunscreen etc. if they don’t have something you need Walmart is a quick bus ride on the R2 away… in regards to the star rating no matter what the company you’re traveling through has it rated this hotel is well worth the price and you’ll have no problems at all so don’t worry.

Liverpool, United...
23. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Thanks for all your info great to talk to someone who has actually been to the hotel you are staying! Looking forward to it now even more than before if that was even possible! Thanks again

Stamford...
reviews: 18
24. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

I havent had the chance to read the whole thread but would you happen to know if all the rooms are renovated in this hotel or just certain ones. thanks

Calgary, Canada
25. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

The entire hotel was renovated prior to the RIU Palace Peninsula opening next door back in May 2012 (I believe). So yes all the rooms are renovated and look identical with the exception of the extra windows in the Ocean front rooms.

Kent
reviews: 41
26. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

sounds fab! going in november and can't wait, thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions, means i don't have any left to ask

Va
reviews: 15
27. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Not exactly true about the renovations of all rooms. The ground floor rooms were not renovated. They still have the old ratan furniture.

Newcastle upon...
28. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Hi...I'm staying there this summer! Was really torn between the Rui Cancun and Caribe but eventually decided on the Caribe. Any info would be greatly appreciated on the hotel, area and Cancun itself.

- Does the hotel sell branded spirits?

- How did you find the food choice? How many Restaurants?

- What floor level / room's have the best views (full sea views)?

- How far is the hotel from the main shops? bars/restaurants and Hotel zone including Coco Bongo's? Is it walkable?

- What trips / excursions would you recommend to do whilst there? I'd like to swim with Dolphins and perhaps visit Playa Del Carmen shopping Mall? Do you know the cost of any of these and what else would you recommend is a must do whilst there? (We are in our Late 20's). Would you advise to book whilst there or before?

- Is there a nice beach in Cancun other than at the hotel resort?

- Are there any nice restaurants in Cancun you would recommend to visit?

Lot's of questions...but I'm keen to know a lot on the resort in hope I've made the right choice!

Calgary, Canada
29. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

@lozzy_down_under quite a few questions haha I’ll do my best to answer them

1. This one was kind of vague but ill take a shot at it and if it’s not what you meant you can elaborate and ill try again… do they sell banded spirits? Not that I saw but if you walk out the front door and go to your left there is a convenience store that sells a ton for pretty cheap… if you meant what liquor they carry for your AI, we had in room dispensers with your basic cheap brands (Smirnoff, Bacardi, jose etc.)

2. The food is ok but it gets repetitive… there is three restaurants you have to make reservations for between 7am and 11am (just in front of the Mexican restaurant) those are Mexican, Asian and the Steak House we made our reservations the 2nd night of our trip and could only get 2 of the 3; they were the Mexican (the food here was really nothing special and the only place in the hotel where we had lackluster service) and the Asian (this was another buffet style restaurant but was actually pretty good you’ll have your Japanese on one side of the Buffet and Chinese on the other) the steak house was booked solid for the week by the time we tried to get reservations so I cant comment on that one sorry.

3. Rooms – the best views were in the Ocean front suites you’ll have a much larger balcony with extra windows wrapping around the room… the ocean view rooms weren’t too bad either (much smaller balcony and less windows but the rooms are the same size with identical décor)… try and get a room on the 5th floor and above to avoid the noise and heat emitted from the lobby during the day.

4. Proximity to the night life is about 3km or so and about 7 or 8km to the shopping centre’s (La Isla shopping village and Kukulcan plaza).

5. for excursions I’ve done the dolphin swim and the speed boat/snorkeling tour both I had a blast on but if you do decide to do the speed boat tour tip the guys a little and ask for a faster boat as some of them are pretty slow and that’ll take away from the experience… I usually book through my travel rep onsite once I arrive they’ll give you a break down of what you can do and costs etc. then for shopping I always enjoy heading down to La Isla Shopping Village for more high end stores and then for trinkets at the flea markets I prefer Coral Negro over Market 28 but both are a fun experience if you like haggling for knock off sunglasses and “Mexican junk”.

6. The beach is pretty nice at the Caribe but the ocean is extremely calm of this side of the 7 so if you’re looking for some more waves head to a hotel down the other side around km12 a buy a day pass at one of those hotels (the grand oasis has a pretty cheap day pass… it is party central mind you and the hotel isn’t the nicest around but it does have a great beach and the ocean is a lot more fun over there) you will also have access to the Riu Cancun for free the beach is pretty rocky and the ocean has a lot of coral but you will have some more waves.

7. My girlfriend and I went to Harry’s steakhouse and raw bar on our final night there for a sunset dinner on the lagoon side. The food was outstanding if you love steak you’ll be happy with this choice… keep in mind the menu can get pretty expensive since its all imported USDA Prime cuts and a lot of top shelf liquor… request a table outside for the best view.

The resort is great and you shouldn’t be worried about your choice the staff here (especially the entertainment staff; Juan, Allie and Angel to name a few) were exceptional and it was always immaculate in terms of cleanliness. I hope some of this helps and if I missed anything let me know. You can also check out some of my reviews for any more info.

Newcastle upon...
30. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Hey! Thanks for such detailed information! Its greatly appreciated, you have answered all queries. I feel much more at ease with my choice of resort.

Thank you so much :-))