We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer between resorts and excursions

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 14
transfer between resorts and excursions

We are staying at Club Med Cancun for 6 days in May and then moving to Now Sapphire for another 7 days. What would be the best way to get between the resorts and the cheapest? There are 2 adults and a 3 year old. A taxi, shuttle?

If we do excursions, should we rent our own car and go to the Dolphinarium, Tulum and such ourselves or through a company?

Can you suggest a reputable and affordable company or taxi driver? In Aruba, we had a taxi driver take us on excursions in a very comfortable air conditioned van and he provided a car seat for my daughter.

Thanks.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
1. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

Great questions

Taxi for your small party will be sufficient and just as cheap as a private transfer. If you like him, ask him about other excursions

The Private transfer companies do have large vans, so make your choice

Most places from Cancun to Tulum are easy to do via buses, colectivos, or taxis

Pennsylvania
reviews: 38
2. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

I would use USATransfers for your private transportation to Now Sapphire. They are very very reasonable. Probably only about $65 for all four of you round trip, meaning from there then back to the airport. Probably less than that if just one way trip. I would use them for excursions, too. They are very reliable. Am using them again in June.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
3. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

I agree with VSD - use a taxi between resorts.

Private transfers are usually SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper from the airport than a taxi due to the tariff they have to pay (which they pass on to you). If you're not being picked up at the airport, this tariff doesn't apply, so a private transfer won't usually save you any money.

For excursions - if you want to rent a car, I'd politely direct you to the Top Questions section of the Playa del Carmen forum. There are some scams you need to watch out for perpetrated by the car rental companies, gas stations and the local traffic police - but knowing about them is the first step to avoiding being a victim. I don't think car rental in this part of the world is particularly cheap (especially when you factor in the cost of all the insurance experts recommend you take). For that reason, I'd also recommend you do the math - renting a car, especially if it ends up sitting in the parking lot of your resort for any length of time - may not be cost effective.

If you don't want to drive, there are numerous tour companies in the area. At the NOW Sapphire, they're all set up in an area just off the main lobby and any of them will be happy to help you out. You can book with anyone you want, you don't have to be on an Apple vacation to book with the Apple rep.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

Thank you everyone. We have Club Med transfers from the airport and Air Canada transfers to the airport. The missing piece is between resorts. We had transfers from the airport to Now Sapphire but when we added Club Med, we had to pay extra for transfers to Club Med and our original ride is just wasted.

I don't want to rent a car. My cousin did on his honeymoon 2 years ago. He was hit by a local but the police arrested my cousin. My new cousin-in-law was terrified. The cop told her that with $2000 US he can go free but otherwise, they will have to keep him in jail and charge him. She paid obviously. She was 23 years old, alone and intimidated. All the stories scare me!

Massachusetts
reviews: 21
5. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

You can use USA Transfers (Entertainment Plus) to arrange a ride for an excursion without going on a group tour. Take a look at their website, and then if you have any questions, just email them. They are quick to respond.

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

Thank you everyone. We have Club Med transfers from the airport and Air Canada transfers to the airport. The missing piece is between resorts. We had transfers from the airport to Now Sapphire but when we added Club Med, we had to pay extra for transfers to Club Med and our original ride is just wasted.

I don't want to rent a car. My cousin did on his

honeymoon 2 years ago. He was hit by a local but the police arrested my cousin. My new cousin-in-law was terrified. The cop told her that with $2000 US he can go free but otherwise,

they will have to keep him in jail and charge him. She paid obviously. She was 23 years old, alone and intimidated. All the stories scare me!

I have emailed USA transfers for a quote. Thanks! Is there anyway to know what a taxi would cost? Although, with luggage, maybe the transfer is just easier?

Do you recommend USA for excursions? We don't want to swim with dolphins as my daughter is too young and I'm weirded out but would like to do the dolphin interaction as she'd enjoy that.

Suggestions?

Massachusetts
7. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

I have not used them for excursions, but my sister did. They set up a diving trip, a fishing trip, and a trip to a cenote. She was very satisfied with their service. Their website shows private excursions and public. You could also ask if they just provide a driver to take you wherever you want to go and wait there, then bring you home.

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

I contacted USA transfers and it is only $35 for us between the resorts. They will provide a carseat for free as well although they indicated that there are no carseat laws in Mexico and it's up to me. Of course I want a carseat! lol!

I am going to do a dolphin encounter instead of swim with my daughter as she's quite small and I think it would be better for her and the lady at USA transfers agrees.

Thanks so much everyone.

Massachusetts
9. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

Thanks for the update, always nice when we hear we've helped.

10. Re: transfer between resorts and excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, April 17, 2014