We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

Posted this on the Playa Del Carmen but was suggested that I post in the Cancun side as well

Having hard time deciding between the two resorts for honeymoon. Would appreciate any thoughts on them...

Both seem like excellent resorts, the royal has a nice beach whereas reviews seem to indicate that Paradisus doesn't really have a beach worth noting... Not sure if anyone who's been the Paradisus saw this as a major downfall? I know some people mentioned there are public beaches next to the resort but are these good?

I like that Paradisus is in PDC but not sure if any tour operators do direct pick up and drop offs through this resort or if it can even be arranged through the resort... Couldn't find info on this in my search... I know the royal cancun is farther from PDC but seems to have tour operators on sight that take people out on excursions.. Only downside is it takes longer to get to places such as xcaret, tulum, etc.

My fiancé and I are thinking 7 nights in June and wanted to check out PDC or if in the royal a comparable town? The xcaret, tulum or chitzen itza, and also just rest and relax on the beach or pool. Also noted that people say just take a cab to town... I know it's easy enough to arrange one from the resort, but is it safe to grab any can from town back to resort?

Is it better to book tours before heading over to Mexico or just while there?

Neither of us have done much traveling so any info helps!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Lincoln, Nebraska
reviews: 21
1. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

There is a Royal in Playa. Right on 5th ave.

It comes highly recommended amount the Playa crowd on here.

All the resorts I have been to have tour operators on sight and all the tour operators other places will pick you up from wherever, including your resort.

If your interested in exploring the area and doing excursions, I highly recommend staying in PDC. Xe-Hal, Tulum, Cenotes all closer to playa the Cancun and IMO must do and sees around the area. Akumal was neat too.

Both resorts you mentioned are fabulous places but I would pick the Royal in PDC for it proximity to 5th and the bus stations that make getting around easy and cheap.

Congrats and happy travels

Edited: 11:19 am, March 31, 2013
London, Canada
reviews: 106
2. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

<<reviews seem to indicate that Paradisus doesn't really have a beach worth noting... Not sure if anyone who's been the Paradisus saw this as a major downfall? I know some people mentioned there are public beaches next to the resort but are these good?>>

Yes, it is the worst feature of the resort. Not only is the beach narrow and the water often murky, you cannot see the beach from anywhere in the resort due to the mangrove, so it feels landlocked. The public beaches on either side are a little wider and some days are clearer, but there are also rocks to contend with. On weekends those beaches are very popular with locals.

Lincoln, Nebraska
reviews: 21
3. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

Ooops and...

Traveling around the area is safe. There are loads of options and honestly taxis are the most expensive IME.

If you choose to stay in either city, the ADO and Mayab bus systems are beyond easy to use and cheap. Save your money for a fabulous massage on the beach ;)

We have also hired a driver for the day to do things and that to has always worked out well. Taxis are $$ but plentiful around the area. Lots of ways to be around the area.

And yeah Paradisus sits on a not so great beach.

I would check out for sure "The Royal" in PDC or Playacar Palace also in PDC.

The forums are great places to learn about the resorts and the area. Read the top questions. Use the search functions. Ask questions. You will soon find that traveling is addictive and especially the Yucatan area because there is so much to see and do, and it's so easy to do it!

Happy travels

Yonkers, NY
reviews: 152
4. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

I've been to both resorts and i could tell you if the beach is a concern the royal wins hands down.The perla is a very quiet zen type resort.if it was up to me ill go to the royal in playa.I liked the royal in playa over the royal in Cancun because it felt more authentic in playa and the fact that the location cant be beat in playa.the food in La perla was very good and also in the royal.The beach in la perla is very small and i saw a lot of locals on the beach.I wasn't very impressed with that beach but the rooms and food made up for them.

5. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

Thanks for the replies...

We waited too long and the prices went up about a thousand for our dates :s.

Now we have to consider other resorts unfortunately :s

Yonkers, NY
reviews: 152
6. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

The prices always go up on the weekend dont settle wait and watch the prices they will come down.Are you buying a package or just booking hotel?

7. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

We were looking at package deals... It's really the first time traveling for both of us do we thought this was easiest.

I suppose we can wait a bit longer and see what happens!

Thanks for the replies!

Savannah,GA
reviews: 61
8. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

Only negative about RCPDL is that not all the rooms have balconies with ocean view & for me I have to have that when in Cancun. So it would be the Royal In Cancun for us. You can do everything from Cancun.

9. Re: The Royal Cancun versus Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 09, 2014