We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Peninsula March 8-15,2013..first impressions

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
Riu Palace Peninsula March 8-15,2013..first impressions

It is the third day here at RPP...wonderful so far. Read so many negatives and was so worried. My first visit to this Hotel chain ( have been to Beaches Turks & Caicos, Beaches Negril,Sandals ( Jamaica, Varadeo), Iberostar Lindo-Maya, Ib Bavaro, Paradisus Punta Cana & Varadeo, Dreams Riviera Maya, Now Jade and Melia Cayo Gieullermo). So far I am impressed. Fast check in...No Time Share agents to confront or avoid. It's March Break now ... Busy but not chaotic. Was fortunate to have a courtesy room upgrade (Fallacy: not all rooms have ocean view...most do, but some face the lagoon and are at street or lower level). Beach opinions are correct..but RPP shares a beautiful beach with Riu Caribe next door. Having Towel Cards ...amazing idea....Less people hog beach/pool chairs for fear of losing their towels and be charged. Crowd so far for this March break is more Adults and young families...few teens. Food ...not bad..Accomodations...clean and comfortable but different. WiFi is free and one of the best that I have experienced. I am on the 10 floor (total 17) and at the beach end. With my IPad & IPhone am not only able to connect to the WiFi but able to stream UTube without interruptions. Another fallacy: <get suites in main building>....there is one main building unit with up to 17 floors, serviced adequately by elevators. Truth ...Villa Suites are separate units and are lower down hence ocean views are less dramatic.

The only set back so far is that there are only a few kids and my 6 year old son has a hard time making friends and the Weather is still cool for the pool and evenings. My first impressions...

Arizona
reviews: 9
1. Re: Riu Palace Peninsula March 8-15,2013..first impressions

Thanks for the trip report... we are going to arrive there on the 16th. I can't wait to hear more.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Riu Palace Peninsula March 8-15,2013..first impressions

Impressions Riu Palace Peninsula:

Restuarants at RPP Mar 8-15, 2013

Buffet: Las Olas & Isla Mujures (breakfast )

Lunch: Isla Mujeres & Venecio (Italian)

Dinner: Las Olas (buffet)

Reservations: Kabuki (Japanese)

Tamales (Mecican)

Krystal (Fusion)

Isla Mujures (Steakhose)

Venecio (No reservation)

And only for Villa guest (Kularium)

Reservation are made at Guest Sevices (8am -8pm) two days in advance for that day only...either 6:30 pm or 9:00 pm. Usually can walk in and hope some one does not turn up. Will hold reservation for about 15 mins..so go early and there may be a waiting line (the speciality restuarants are small)

The buffet at all meals even dinner is really good and better than speciality restuarants. Las Olas is International Nite every night with theme nights (Asian, Caribbean,Mexican and Gala).

Speciality Restuarants:

At Kabuki: Offerings are tame, most Japanese restuarants in Resorts are hit and miss (only at Beaches Turks & Caicos this is a hit)

At Isla (Steakhouse) offerings are ok. A seafood platter is provided with snow crab legs,Mussles, Smoked Salmon Slices, calamari salad. Surf and Turf ( overdone and tough lobster) Ribeye was good..soft but over salted.

At Krystal (Fusion) : Very good: A tapas selection is offered (the peanut <? Cookie> is very good. The cream of leek is tasty . Had entrees: Lamb and beef ... both were small servings but the best of all my meals here.

Venecia: Same offerings every day for lunch and dinner...ok. The tiramisu was disappointing... Served premade in a wine/desert glass on the self serve desert tray (best tiramisu I had was at Sandals LaToc in St. Lucia)

Tamales: will try in two days.

Capuccino: Coffee and cakes: Impressive decor but offerings could be better. Tea selection is good....but too much ice cream and whipped cream in coffee (unfortunately opens at 10am) ...better coffee sites: Beaches Turks,Now Jade & Dreams Riviera Cancun.

Sports Bar: food and snacks very good (one of the best) open 24 hrs

Finally: SERVICE..... Very good. Staff so far attentive. Front desk is superb. House Keeping is excellent and very accommodating . Stay so far is going well... If only the weather would cooperate. TTY later

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 43
3. Re: Riu Palace Peninsula March 8-15,2013..first impressions

One of the things I liked most about the RPP was how close you could be to the shore line while enjoying a meal when seated at the porch area of the main buffet. Close enough to not only feel the breeze, but to smell the ocean too.

Couple of questions:

Have they done anything about the slick tile area coming from the lobby to the sports bar/theater area?

Are there any signs, or explanations about the faux Mayan ruins on the grounds?

MK, enjoy your stay, and thanks for posting.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Riu Palace Peninsula March 8-15,2013..first impressions

You are correct ... Isla Mujeres restuarant has a beautiful view of the beach and water edge. The coffee shop /Capuchino and the lobby Bar both offer a fantastic view to enjoy your drinks.

Unfortunately...not sure how the tiles were before ...they still remain rather suspicious.

There is always house keeping mopping up the area almost 24/7. Have noticed between the bathrooms and Sports Bar at the entrance to the beach...there is an common undesignated area .... SMOKERS HEAVEN...if you are a non smoker...hold your breadth as you zoom pass.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 43
5. Re: Riu Palace Peninsula March 8-15,2013..first impressions

Smokers heaven, yup that's the spot I was talking about.

Thanks for the reply.

6. Re: Riu Palace Peninsula March 8-15,2013..first impressions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 15, 2014