We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Muerjes

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Isla Muerjes

Looking to possibly do a day trip over to Isla Muerjes for a day. Someone recommend going over there and renting a golf cart for the day and cruise around. Any input to add? Is it worth it? Waste of time? We like the beach and I have read that there is a public beach, restaurants, shops etc. We are just trying to decide if it’s worth it or not – don’t want to waste a day of nothing. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 24
11. Re: Isla Muerjes

It is a must do. It was such a wonderful day when we took the ferry over and golf carted around the island last summer.

We caught the ultramar fast ferry at grand puerto, ( I think that is the correct name), but we were staying outside of Cancun so that was the one that was more convenient for us.

If you go with a tour you will not get much exploring time around the island and in my opinion that was the most fun. Also, we bought a mapchick map a head of our trip. It is more than a map, it is a guide to hotels and bars and other important Isla sights. Very worth the money in my opinion.

Boston...
reviews: 18
12. Re: Isla Muerjes

You can get the ferry in the hotel zone at one of three terminals. Playa Tortugas is the closest one to your hotel and you can grab a public bus for $8.5 peso and it will drop you right at the terminal. The ferry over is $17 US round trip. Depending on when you want to return to Cancun you can take any of the three ferrys back to the hotel zone even though you have a ticket for Playa Tortugas. they really dont care if you take a different boat back. If you want to stay in Isla Mujeres into the evening (which is not a bad idea) you might want to buy a one way to the island as the three ferrys returning to the hotel zone only run until about 5:30. When you buy your ticket they will give you a time schedule for all the terminals. If you stay late there are ferries that run back to Cancun up until close to midnight but pull into Gran Puerto or Puerto Juarez. I am not sure if the R1 bus still runs back to the hotel zone but you can certainly grab a cab. All of the ferry info I gave is for Ultramar. Their website is http://www.granpuerto.com.mx/EN/index.html

Boston...
reviews: 18
13. Re: Isla Muerjes

One other note. I saw that some other posters were saying to pick up a copy of Mapchicks Isla Mujeres map. They are $10US and are so much more than a map. Is is like having a personal guided tour of the island right in your hand. I have been to Isla Mujeres many times and I still look at my copy to find something now and then. You can order the map online at www.mapchick.com/isla-mujeres/. Absolutely will be money well spent!

Alplaus, New York
reviews: 4
14. Re: Isla Muerjes

i have been to cancun at least 2 x year for the last 10 yrs or so. recently , i have been staying on Isla instead of the hotel zone in cancun.isla mujeres is definitely worth the trip over. i agree with others. you do not need to get a tour package. simply hop the ferry and walk the streets or rent a golf cart.they are usuallly about $45. for the day. well worth it to get to south part of island (Punta sur, etc.). the ferries will run to the hotel zone at km 8.5 next to fiesta americana grand coral beach, but it depends on the daily weather .. if high seas or winds, they may not be running to playa tortuga because of the conditions(the boats are too deep for windy conditions due to the rocks, etc.). in that case, just plan on having some cash for a cab from Grand Puerto, which is always running until midnight or so. isla mujeres is much more laid back than the hotel zone, but plenty to do after dark. i just returned before christmas with my 21 y.o. son and we had a blast!you can walk from the ferry to North Beach and just hang there for the day also. plenty of restaurants/bars along the beach for lunch.i have never had a security problem and often travel to the island alone as a single female. very safe and friendly..looking to return again very soon(pricing flights now for possible early March!)

north miami
reviews: 1
15. Re: Isla Muerjes

Definitely go. Take ferry from Playa Tortuga, you can purchase tixs from booth/kiosk located on the street when you get off the bus. They take US or Pesos. Take ferry over, but do not rent golf cart from boat vendors, you will pay 5 to 10 dollars more for a golf cart from 9 to 5. Get off ferry go to Gomar across the street from ferry and try to negiciate cart down to 40 or 42 dollars for the day. Free gas if you need a fill up. You do not need to purchase a map, ride around get a map from gold cart company and ride around the island. You cannot miss everything. We rode around the island twice and explored and found practically everything on our own. Island is not that big, had drinks, food and more drinks.

Best place is drive thru facility that faces Cancun side if island, you can pick up beers, sodas for your golf cart adventure.

Make sure you visit the cemetery on the per side of the island. Very interesting.

Enjoy!

Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 82
16. Re: Isla Muerjes

You can read my review of the ferry to have the complete details about the best way to use it :

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d123…

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
17. Re: Isla Muerjes

Maybe a strange question but is it safe driving a cart over there? I am just a little concerned milking with cars. I have only ever driven them on a quiet golf course.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 11
18. Re: Isla Muerjes

Yes, it is safe. The only issues I have heard of is when people drink too much and take corners too fast.

The carts mix in fine with the traffic. Speeds are slow in town and when you go to the sound end, carts stay to the right and vehicles pass on the left.

On thing I don't think has been mentioned - you really should stay for the sunset. Take it in at a place like the Sunset Grill. During sunset, a lot of people head to Playa Norte to watch it.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
19. Re: Isla Muerjes

Great!! Thanks so much!! I am really looking forward to checking out that sunset!!

20. Re: Isla Muerjes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 27, 2014