We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Muerjes

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Isla Muerjes

Looking to possibly do a day trip over to Isla Muerjes for a day. Someone recommend going over there and renting a golf cart for the day and cruise around. Any input to add? Is it worth it? Waste of time? We like the beach and I have read that there is a public beach, restaurants, shops etc. We are just trying to decide if it’s worth it or not – don’t want to waste a day of nothing. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Florida
1. Re: Isla Muerjes

Definitely worth it, Go early and arrive like 9:30 to 10 AM. Rent a cart and tour the south end of the island. It is a very small island and no map is needed, you cannot get lost. Lots of interesting sights and things along the way. Come back to the area where the ferry dropped you off around 1 to 2 PM and go to Playa Norte and have lunch and drinks on the beach at Playa Norte in one of the many beach bar/restaurants. A totally different day and worth it.

We go to Cancun often and always do at least 1 day in IM almost every trip. We do not do the golf cart tour every trip as we have done it a bunch of times but usually still do the golf cart sightseeing once per year

PA
2. Re: Isla Muerjes

Steve's right...... It's a MUST!!!! Even the ferry ride is cool

Boston...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Isla Muerjes

Spending the day on Isla Mujeres is absolutely worth it. Tehre is a beautiful public beach a short walk from where the ferry docks and there are more shops and restaurants that you could possible see in a single day. Renting a cart is a great idea as it allows you to tour the island. South end of the island has some of the most amazing landscapes you will see on your trip. Punta Sur is a must see if you are traveling to the island. Also on the south end not far from Punta Sur is the turtle farm. Admission is only $3.00 you can get up close to many sea turtles From new borns to massive adults. Food on the island is is great and very reasonable priced. If you are interested in getting a good idea about what the island has to offer check out the www.isla-mujeres.net/ website. I travel to Cancun several times a year and I alway make my way to Isla Mujeres each time I am down.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
4. Re: Isla Muerjes

worth it! :)

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 2
5. Re: Isla Muerjes

One of my fondest memory of last Cancun trip was cruising down the ocean-side road on the golf cart with cool breezes blowing through and beautiful east-side ocean on the side. Also had one of the best red-snapper and nacho at the local restaurants, great tourist shops, and beautiful south beach...

Ugggg..... only 42 more days for me to return!!

Cortland, NY
reviews: 99
6. Re: Isla Muerjes

Absolutely worth it...and if you get a Mapchick map you will know all of the fabulous "not to mss" places!!

Forest Lake...
7. Re: Isla Muerjes

Bump

Waukesha, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
8. Re: Isla Muerjes

Do it. You can thank all of us after you return. Go early, and don't get sucked into any tour. Just buy a Mapchick map, rent a cart, and explore. A wonderful day.

Virginia Beach, VA
reviews: 26
9. Re: Isla Muerjes

Where do you catch the ferry in relation to the resort strip? We are staying at Dreams Cancun.

Forest Lake...
10. Re: Isla Muerjes

We are staying at the Fiesta American Condesa - I have heard you can catch a ferry in the hotel zone but it runs less? Any recommendations as to which ferry and where to catch it is the best? Are there different types of ferries?