We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Far in Advance do you book?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
reviews: 20
How Far in Advance do you book?

We're about 100 days from our trip. We've been checking different sites for prices . Is there a certain timeframe that you normally book? I don't think I want to go more than 2 months out but I wasn't sure when the 'summer sales' start.

Thanks

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 6
1. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

Years past, you could wait and find good, reasonable last minute deals. That being said, with the rising ( soaring ) fuel costs, I don't see any reason to wait to book. Your flight portion of a package deal could go up $1000 plus in the next 2 - 3 months....

Massachusetts
reviews: 23
2. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

Already booked this week for an Oct. trip. Air fare went up $20 the next day.

We could not do a trip this May because airfare had doubled since Feb. and so far, it has not come back down. When I saw the fare for Oct. at 1/2 the cost of May, I booked. I realize Oct. is low season, but that doesn't seem to matter to the airlines.

KANSAS
reviews: 23
3. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

If you ever price Funjet, vs Expedia etc.. Funjet is now price matching. I always liked using Funjet because I could book through my local travel agent. There is something calming about having someone back in the States that has your back. Also, I believe if the price drops after you book, they will match that as well.

Medina, Ohio
reviews: 20
4. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

i booked last june for my trip in may. if it is a good deal book. I was also able to make payments on it for the last year, and did not have to pay up front. we book with continental vacation thru a travel agent.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 91
5. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

I agree, when the price is right, just book it. I found a deal for Dec and was thinking about booking it. That was this morning. By lunch the price has gone up. Sure, it might come back down, but I was happy with the price this morning. Time will tell.

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 7
6. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

This past weekend, I was browsing travel sites (like always!) and saw an unbelievable deal for 14 nights in PV during Oct. I hesitated for maybe 30 seconds then booked it. Glad I did, since in the last 4 days, the price went up $740pp.. I\ve never booked this far out before, usually within 90 days maybe, but I knew if I waited I'd regret it! Plus, the good rooms/suites are the first to go.

Edited: 2:44 am, April 06, 2012
Two Rivers...
reviews: 18
7. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

We have always found our best deals booking 6 to 10 weeks out. But if you find a price you are happy with now go ahead and book it.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
8. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

My sister is planning her wedding at Now Sapphire in Cancun and my friends;family are flying from Vancouver on May 5 to 12, 2013. I am in Toronto and plan to join them on May 6/2013.

I am confused about when to book. The travel agent dealing with the group booking out of Vancouver is taking deposits from the group with payment in full due in 60 days. However, from me, she wants full payment now with no cancelations, changes, transfers to another person, etc., etc., There is no price drop protection either but I don't know if the price will ever drop or not.

If I book through her, I feel some peace as she is planning to come tot he wedding and then we have a go to person. However, her prices are higher and I am getting no benefits otherwise from going through her except it's easier, she will be there and she seems nice enough.

I am afraid that if I wait, prices may go up not down but then isn't that what price protection like through Flightnetwork is through? Alternatively, I was thinking Air Canada Vacations so I can early Aeroplan miles as i collect those for my traveling back and forth to Vancouver from Toronto and they are handy. I don't think Air Can has any flight protection.

Any advice for booking for Cancun, especially Now Sapphire in May? The resort already charges almost adult fare for children and my 3 year old is costing me $1000. I was hoping for a kids stay/eat free promo or something but don't know if Now Sapphire ever runs one. I know Jade and Dreams do . The resort is unchangeable at this point and even mentioning anything to my sister upsets her so I just need to deal with it.

Advice?

Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 66
9. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

I booked my trip 6 weeks ago for May 2013 and 3 days later(or so) the flight sale ended and my trip soared up by €3,000 :O

That was just the flights jumping up. I would happily leave the hotel but I booked this as well because I had a specific room type I wanted.

I still have not booked my 2nd hotel in Vegas because there are so many hotels and rooms that I can book nearly immediately prior to the trip.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 13
10. Re: How Far in Advance do you book?

We just booked yesterday for a late Feb early Mar trip..My wife has been pulling her hair out trying to get the best deal..FunJet has changed it's deal with Frontier, no longer charter ( at least form the KC destination to Cancun)..So prices are changing hourly due to the flight arrangements..FJ still quotes Frontier as the carrier, but it is not charter, regular airfare..Thus the dollar amount changes quite often..

Our TA, found a deal using Apple and a cancel at anytime with a cash back policy..