We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marquette, Michigan
reviews: 32
Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

I will be coming to Cancun Int'l Airport via a Mexico City Int'l Airport connection. Will I clear customs there or when I arrive in Cancun? Flying into Mexico City via Delta Airlines, however will be departing Mexico City via AeroMexico airlines.

Edited: 12:20 pm, April 01, 2012
Limbo
1. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

In Mexico City.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 88
2. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

You will do customs in Mexico City. If I remember correctly, you do not have to claim you luggage, tho, until Cancun.

Marquette, Michigan
reviews: 32
3. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

So does this mean I will have a quicker transfer thru Cancun when I arrive there? Will I come out of Terminal 2 or 3? Need the Ado bus when I arrive.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
4. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

Terminal 2.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 9
5. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

In Mexico City you will have to clear immigration, pick up your bags, clear customs and re-check your bags at a special desk. Fortunately you remain inside the same terminal (T2). In Cancun you just pick up your bags and go.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 88
6. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

We did not have to pick up our bags at Mexico City. Has that changed?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 54
7. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

When I've had this connectionm I had to do immigration in Mexico City, but did not see my luggage or clear customs until Cancun.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 9
8. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

A new rule was introduced a couple of years ago whereby you clear immigration AND customs at your first point of entry into the country. Previously you only cleared immigration. To clear customs you obviously need your bags with you for the possibility of inspection. Initially there were some cases where bags were checked through and things were done the "old" way simply because layover times were so tight but I thought that had now ceased. If someone has connected recently without going through customs at Mexico City then maybe they can tell us?!

Almere, The...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

Arriving with KLM in Mexico City, you have to clear customs, pick up your bags, they go through a machine and then you put them on a belt for your connecting flight. Outside the doors there are some Mexicans who will take you to the train, give them a dollar or 2, get on the train to Terminal 2. If there are a lot of people that have to go through customs by the time you get to Terminal 2, there is a possibility that Aero Mexico will depart earlier and you have to stay overnight. Who pays the bill, not Aero Mexico. But that is Mexico.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 57
10. Re: Will I clear Mexican customs in Mexico City or Cancun?

¨Outside the doors there are some Mexicans who will take you to the train¨

That is really pretty much what I expected in Mexico City--Mexicans.