We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 2
Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Please do not rent from Thrifty Car Rental Cancun Airport for the following reasons:

1) The car that you thought you were getting - a Chrysler Van was never available and upgraded us to an SUV with bald tires )more expensive).

2) Thrifty overcharged us over $100.00 as the bill said $841 US but 1120 pesos which converts to $941 Canadian Dollars.

3) Staff at Thrifty in Cancun Airport play games with you because you are tourists and you don't speak spanish.

Also note that rental cars in Cancun with the last three letters of the license plate of TMC, TMD and TME are marked by Police and Parking Enforcement Officers - please be aware where you park and how fast you are going.

88 replies to this topic
Sterling, Virginia
reviews: 1
51. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

We rented a Jeep Liberty from Thrifty in Cancun. Needed it because we stayed in Playa del Carmen and spent alot of time off the resort.

Know before you go...

1. You will need to buy liability insurance from Thrifty, unless you have a letter or policy statement from your insurance provider that your liability coverage applies while you are in Mexico.

2. They WILL try to increase the rate on you. I don't blame them for trying... they probably make a lot of money that way. Just be prepared... I told them that it was too expensive and that I'd just take a cab. They won't let you walk away. I ended up paying the same amount that I reserved the car for

3. The contract is in Spanish. Brush up so you are able to read it. Maybe get an copy in English from your local Thrifty before you leave.

You're on vacation! No sense starting it off with a frustrating experience renting a car. Just be prepared to negotiate and have fun with it!

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 4
52. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

FYI. My husband and I have been going to Cancun for years and never had to purchase Liability Insurance but we used American express and have insurance with them. Last Christmas Thrifty would not rent use a car without doing it. We did and came back to the state putting a claim in with American express. We got all the money for insurance back. So if you used your American express fight it!!!!

TX
53. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!!

1. PLI insurance purchase is required (c.c coverage does not count for this) and is not quoted in the online price- around $20-30USD/day depending on type of car (see copied text below)

2. Quote is in USD and then converted at the rental location to Pesos at a current rate of 13.99 (March 2013). When you initial to accept the daily rate the last line is accepting the exchange rate. This little "trick" will add about 12% to your rate.

3. On the plus side the car was new, exactly what I requested and was ready when I got there.

4. It MAY be legal but I think the quotes are purposely misleading to make people think that a rental is a cheaper option than it really is. Also if you get the quote online in Pesos it is a lot closer to the official rate than 13.99 which again makes the rental look cheaper than it will actually be.

copied from Thrifty rental agreement-

"Customers using a credit card to waive the LDW will be *REQUIRED* to purchase the basic liability insurance (PLI). Customer will be responsible for the full value of the rental vehicle. If LDW is declined then an additional credit card approval of US$3000.00 will be required in addition to the estimated total for the rental".

Edited: 1:19 pm, March 18, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 1
54. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

I agree, I travel lots and have not been treated less honestly by anyone I have encountered. Don't rent here.

Tijuana, Mexico
55. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Add to the previos statements: DO NOT RENT FROM THRIFTY -MÉXICO CITY. The y refunde to accept insurance that I have bought through the internet (lost 72 dollars). Then at the end of the trip the y wanted to give us an exchange rate of 14.90. The official rate is now 12.30, after I thereaned them to post. A review on trip advisor, which I am now doing anyway, they told us that it was a "system error" and change the rate to 12.70. They are crooks, and I will now avoide them everywhere I go.

Kansas City...
56. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Yep, I second this. We even called our credit card company to dispute the over charges.

First she just tried to hand write a receipt. Then we got 2 different receipts with different numbers. The pesos ammount never added up correctly.

At the time I knew we were getting screwed but what are we going to do. If we walk to another rental place without a reservation we'll get screwed even worse.

We will never go there again.

Carlsbad, New Mexico
57. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

is there any good car rental agency in cancun?

Carlsbad, New Mexico
58. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Is there any good car rental agency in cancun?

Carlsbad, New Mexico
59. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

is there any good car rental agency in cancun

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
60. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

I recommend two

Easyway

Tulum (aka Caribbean / aka American / aka Cancun)

Read this thread for those that are NOT 1st posters

tripadvisor.ca/…48832482

Reply to: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted