We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
1 post
2 reviews
Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Please do not rent from Thrifty Car Rental Cancun Airport for the following reasons:

1) The car that you thought you were getting - a Chrysler Van was never available and upgraded us to an SUV with bald tires )more expensive).

2) Thrifty overcharged us over $100.00 as the bill said $841 US but 1120 pesos which converts to $941 Canadian Dollars.

3) Staff at Thrifty in Cancun Airport play games with you because you are tourists and you don't speak spanish.

Also note that rental cars in Cancun with the last three letters of the license plate of TMC, TMD and TME are marked by Police and Parking Enforcement Officers - please be aware where you park and how fast you are going.

119 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

You got really overcharged if it was supposed only be 1120 pesos, since thats like $90 USD. Also, rental plates are a different color so they are obviously easy to spot vs the local plates, regardless of what the letters/numbers are. Don't speed or drive like an idiot.

Alternatively, do what I've done to avoid all of these types of issues for over a decade in travelling to the Cancun area- don't rent a car, and take advantage of the very inexpensive public transit system.

Edited: 8:34 am, January 05, 2011
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

we have rented from thrifty several times with professional service. dont blame corrupt police practices on thrifty. any rental agency can be out of a certain vehicle at a given moment.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
252 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

agogo.. the poster is from canada, not us

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Yes, I saw but they stated in the OP:

"2) Thrifty overcharged us over $100.00 as the bill said $841 US but 1120 pesos which converts to $941 Canadian Dollars."

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
5. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

I agree - the only bad thing that happened on our trip to Mexico was to rent from Thrifty. Numerous problems:

- they quoted a price in US dollars on the website, but engineered a crazy exchange rate that added an additional 20% to the price

- we waited hours to pick up our car, hundreds of people working there doing nothing, and then they demanded a tip

- I bought my own car insurance through AmEx but they didn't accept my documentation and so charged us extra for there, marked up, insurance.

texas
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

I've read several complaints on this board regarding Thrifty. I would avoid them.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
195 reviews
7. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

sorry you had to go through all that hassle with the rental car. something like this can definitely ruin someone's trip. i know many posters claim problem free the multiple times they have rented cars in mexico; but for myself, i would never consider renting. i find the cancun buses like the "R" buses and the ADO buses so convenient and efficient that i need not worry about corrupted police and dishonest car rental agencies.

i wonder if you can take your complaint to PROFECO ? thriftys in cancun needs to know that they can't continue to deceive tourists like ourselves.

Arlington
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
8. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Anyone had good experience with American Express insurance at any rental agency?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Agreed. Three things:

1) $11/ day liability ( mandatory ) over the base price without documentation (un advertised charges).

2). Car had dying battery, which died on our last day and prevented us from using the car to go to dinner (poorly maintained cars)

3). They made us sign a form titled "acknowledgement of responsibility" for collision/damage that implied we had already damaged the vehicle when we picked it up and enabled them to fill it out with whatever they wanted and submit to Amex ( sketchy ).

Is there any good car rental agency in cancun?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport

Oh and

4) A uniformed person was outside the agency asking us if we got our "timeshare" discount (deceptive)

Reply to: Do Not Rent From Thrifty Car Rental - Cancun Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted