We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
merida
moving

I am posting my opinion below, sorry if it bothers some people but it is based on my experience. It is best to read more than one opinion before embarking on such an important move.

You need a FM3 visa to get a job here. You will only be hired if you possess skills/abilities that exceed the skills/abilities of Mexicans. A vague rule, but one that I believe is used in the US when foreigners seek professional employment. In addition, you will need to be a fluent Spanish speaker to compete for any real job. A little Maya would help, too, as more than 1 million people speak Maya in Quintana Roo and Yucatan. Look at Cancunassist.com for more info on moving to QR.

Salaries in Mexico are abysmal and living expenses are high in Cancun. Let's not even mention healthcare disparities.

In my opinion, Florida offers much more in terms of sun, entertainment and quality of life.

Cancun, by the way, is not Mexico. In Cancun, rent can be $700 + a month. I believ the apartments by the beach rent for upwards of $1000 (but, I could be wrong). (The minimum wage in Mexico is about $4.50 US dollars a day, but someone with a BA can make $600 US dollars a month and "live" (i.e., no car, no travel).

Land line phone calls are expensive and cell phone prices are insane (something along the lines of 35 US cents a minute for local calls).

Cancun is probably best if you are independently wealthy. The local people here are struggling to find decent wages, so it does not make much sense to encourage foreigners to join to rat race. In the villages that surround Merida and Cancun, many homes still lack bathrooms.

San Diego Calif
reviews: 13
21. Re: moving

Hey Good morning..

hmmmmmmmmm, you ladies are so negitive.

Just thought I would check in, nothing of any interest here I see..

Limbo
22. Re: moving

I hope that Gringa and Cunspin are not baring their arms today, despite the heat. Keep 'em covered, you negative ladies! :)

And, Dangers, thank you so much for all those facts. You should charge by the hour! I'll be sure to get in touch with you when writing my thesis.

TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
23. Re: moving

We're sorry, but this topic has wandered into non-travel-related subject matter, so we've closed it to any further posts. To continue this discussion, TripAdvisor invites you to use our Off-Topic forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i9659-Off_topic…

Please note that Off-topic Chatter is a forum for discussions gone afield from the topic of travel. Although non-travel-related topics are allowed, posts in the Off-topic forum must otherwise meet TripAdvisor's Forum guidelines:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…