We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Macomb, Michigan
reviews: 4
Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

My husband and I leave in 2 weeks for a week in Cancun (I am counting down the hours!). I have an awesome suitcase that is very roomy that I would like to take but I am afraid of getting charged extra. I think the dimensions of the suitcase are exactly at the linear dimension limits set by Northwest.

Has anyone been charged extra lately for a large piece of luggage? Or has anyone brought a very large piece and not been charged?

I'm hoping I can bring the large one (for me) and then the smaller one (for my husband:-) and we'll have room for souvenirs!

If anyone can help with my dilema, I would greatly appreciate it!

Minster, Ohio
reviews: 2
1. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

I am not sure about northwest, but i know that on an international flight on continental, you are allowed up to 50 lbs. For 51-75 pounds is was $100 and even more as more was added. I had a very large suitcase also, but even full, it was only 38 pounds. Make sure to check the weight...that seems to be the biggest concern.

Chicago
reviews: 1
2. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

Dimensions are really never a big deal unless the luggage is bigger than you. Weight is definitely the much bigger concern.

Word of advice.. NWA is a very picky airline. I would probably give them a call and check.

-tony

Macomb, Michigan
3. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

Thanks for the info...

anyone else have experiences?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 33
4. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

As an agent my advice is to weigh your bags, and also measure them. All the carriers are now extremly strict on extra bag/overweight/oversize now. It is a great source of extra revenu also ;-)

The size would have to be fairly extreme, but the weight is critical, and yes, my best friend was taking fishing equipment and paid a hefty charge.

Mesa, Arizona
5. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

It's the weight, rather than the size, that matters. On Continental you are allowed 50 lbs. My very large suitcase weighed under 40 lbs even with the camcorder in it, but I overheard from the people beside us that it was a $25 fee for going over the limit. I packed the jeans and shoes in the smaller suitcase and put the more lightweight stuff in my huge one just to be safe.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
6. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

I worked for a major US carrier and can tell you, watch the weight very carefully. You would be fortunate to only pay a $25 surcharge for an overweight bag.

scottsdale, az
7. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

We just flew American in June. They give you 70lbs per suitcase for international flight. I would call the airline.

Bloomington...
reviews: 12
8. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

I searched for answers to this before we went in early July, and the concensus was that each airline is different. I checked Frontier's website, which is who Apple was using for charters out of Midway, and it said 50lbs (with nothing special noted for international flights). When we checked in for our flight down there, we placed both bags on the scale at the same time (as suggested by someone here). The counter agent told us that she wasn't going to weigh the bags, but be careful packing when coming back, as the Mexican agents would be more strict with the *44* lb weight limit.

Fortunately, our resort (SERC) had a bathroom scale, so I was able to pack the bigger bag up to 40lbs, just to give me some wiggle room. The smaller bag was about 30 lbs. with books, shoes, and electronic gadgets like power supplies/chargers. I did the same trick in Cancun coming home-- both bags on the scale-- but I don't think they batted an eye. They might have seen the total at 70lbs and realized it was under the 88lb max for 2 people.

YMMV. (your mileage may vary)

Tim

Windsor, On Canada
9. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

From Northwest's website:

Note: Luggage is measured by adding length, width, and height to detemine the total number of linear inches/centimeters.

Northwest will accept luggage up to a maximum of 50 pounds (23 kg) and a total linear dimension of 62 inches (158 cm) at no charge.

Additional charges may apply for luggage weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) or with a total linear dimension of more than 62 inches (158 cm).

Northwest does not accept luggage over 100 pounds or larger than 160 linear inches. Luggage that weigh over 100 pounds (45kg) must be shipped via cargo using a known shipper/freight forwarder, or repacked to comply with luggage requirements.

Luggage Allowance

Domestic Travel (within the U.S./Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean)

Coach Class: Each ticketed passenger is allowed two (2) pieces of checked luggage.

First Class: Each ticketed passenger is allowed three (3) checked pieces.

Maximum weight for the third piece is 40 pounds (18 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 45 inches (115 cm).

Macomb, Michigan
10. Re: Question on extra fees for large luggage on NWA

Thanks to everyone... you're advice has been very helpful.

I think my suitcase is at the linear size limit... I'll be sure to weigh before I leave (and pack my "light stuff" in the large suitcase).

Thanks again... ONLY 14 DAYS 'TIL CANCUN!!!!!!!!!!!!