We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help about visiting Xalapa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Veracruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
reviews: 18
Need help about visiting Xalapa

We are planning to visit Xalapa from Mexico city this April/May. We would like to visit Meseo de Antropologia Xalapa and Museo ex-hacienda El Lencero. Is it safe to do this taking a bus from Mexico city and back? I understand it takes 4 to 5 hours one way. Is one over night stay long enough? Is it safe to take taxi once in Xalapa? Can any one help recommending a nice air-conditioned hotel to stay in Xalapa? Is it really worth while to make special trip just to see Meseo de Antropologia Xalapa after seeing the one in Mexico city? Many thanks for your kind help!

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
reviews: 81
1. Re: Need help about visiting Xalapa

The museum in Xalapa is second only to the one in DF, plus it's in a terrific building. However, I am not sure it's worth a sidetrip specifically, since it's "more of the same". If you are determined, then you should also try to visit the ruins of El Tajin, which are amongst the most impressive in the country.

Travelling by bus is perfectly safe, and I would have no qualms about taxis there. Or indeed anywhere else.

I can't remember which hotel I stayed in, as it was some years ago. It was central and nothing special but fine for one night. Check out the hotel reviews here on TA and pick one that fits your budget.

Zacatecas, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
2. Re: Need help about visiting Xalapa

Xalapa is a great place. I totally agree with Londinese. I enjoy Xalapa many times more than the Antropologia en DF because its just such a cool little city.

Even in May which is our hot month its rarely very very hot to warrant AC. Except on the coasts MX is nice and cool most of the time. Xalapa you have fog in the am and then sun the afternoons, unless you have very bad allergies AC is not needed.

I would plan on a few days, to explore the countryside of Veracruz, see El Tajin, take your time. Incredibly cheap for great lodging and drivers etc.

If you have the time, go over to Veracruz the city and have some wonderful seafood.

Safety is not an issue. You are fine here in Mexico.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 18
3. Re: Need help about visiting Xalapa

Thank you both for taking time to help us. Thanks for all your suggestions as well.

4. Re: Need help about visiting Xalapa

xalapa is a nice place I just got here am visiting my family but I think I will look for a job and stay here I hope I can fine something soon so I can stay here and get to know more about this city

5. Re: Need help about visiting Xalapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 15, 2014