We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Veracruz.

Which Veracruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Haven
reviews: 24
Safety in Veracruz.

In the past week we have been getting news reports about drug gang wars in Veracruz. We have heard about murders and that the military has taken over for the police.

Since we will be in and out of Veracruz City for most of the month of January ('11) we are concerned for our safety.

Does anyone had any 1st hand reports on the current status ?

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 9
1. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

I was there last August. I am puzzled as to why you would want to go to Veracruz at all - quite the most horrible city I have visited in Mexico and we left after two nights. Just as well - as the following day a tourist was blown up 50 yards from our hotel. There has been ongoing violence for 6 months and last week there was a killing spree involving the deaths of 7 passengers on 3 buses. Of course the chances are very very small that you will get caught up in anything but, if I were you, I would avoid the city as much as possible - it's just not a very nice place for tourists.

Ixtapa, Mexico
reviews: 14
2. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

I was there last April and agree 100% with Steve. We also left earlier than planned.

Minnesota
reviews: 456
3. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

I would agree that it sure sounds dangerous right now. I would be hesitant to return. I was there just over a year ago (plus Xalapa and Cordoba). I doubt I would return until things get safer. However I did not mind Veracruz as much as SteveMex. Yes, many other colonial cities have it beat but the warmth in winter, music in the plazas, and seafood are strong attractions.

xalapa
4. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

I was there when the military took over for the police. Everything looked normal. People in the plazas and on the streets. With the military in charge, I don't believe that there will be problems. Of course, some people fear even their own shadows.

Bangkok, Krung...
5. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

Hi

Canadian here, looking to ultimately retire in Mx. Veracruz looks good form the outside; could you/someone tell me how it is objectively taken as dangerous?

I see from the common theme it must be true.

It's such a relative term and we all have our own tolerances. How is it scarier than other part of Mx. Many thanks for your help?

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 9
6. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

Do you mean the state of Veracruz or the city? I have only visited the city and, for me, it was not a nice place. It is a typical scruffy port town (beach is quite disgusting) and currently there is a security issue - the armed forces have replaced the police force and there have been incidents of running gun battles through the streets that have ended up with deaths of innocents, some of them tourists. That is not happening in most of Mexico!

New jersey
7. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

Veracruz ( the city) is way safer than before. Police presence is everywhere. But to consider it as a retirement location really depends on what you're looking for. It is very Mexican - fluency in Spanish is a must. The culture is very old-fashioned. A cultural agency recently lost its funding and thus music & theatrical offerings are sparse. The city is a great place to visit to see the real Mexico. However, the average Canadian/USA citizen would not thrive there.

Eugene, Oregon
8. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

We were there visiting family in March 11' and found it to be quite safe! We arrived in Veracruz (the city) but stayed hours inland. We are going back next month, this time with the children.

Of course I am somewhat nervous, especially since we are taking the kids, but the violence seems to really be targeted, with an occasional bystander getting caught in the cross fire. Just praying for a safe trip :-)

New jersey
9. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

Your family will be quite safe. Don't eat from street vendors or Palapas & don't drink water unles purified. Carnival is coming soon so be sure NOT to be there at this time!

Eugene, Oregon
10. Re: Safety in Veracruz.

I second that (about the water) - To be honest, I ate plenty from street vendors, and all was well, but you must be quite careful.

The carnival is a very busy time!!

Get answers to your questions about Veracruz