We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Esmerelda Coast to San Miguel de Allende

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Veracruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 11
Getting from Esmerelda Coast to San Miguel de Allende

Does anyone know of an "easy" way to get from Monte Gordo (2 hours from Veracruz on the coast) to San Miguel de Allende?

Flying seems complicated and would take the whole day for a trip that shouldn't be too long on the roads (about 4-5 hours?). I would have to go 2 hours + to Veracruz, fly to Mexico City, wait there, fly to Leon, and then take a 2 hour bus to SMA. so i'd rather not have to do that.

Any busses? Or possibly hiring a car & driver? (i'm too scared to drive myself as i'll be alone) Would that be too expensive?

Many thanks.

Berkeley, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Getting from Esmerelda Coast to San Miguel de Allende

I'm may be replying too late. I've done the drive a few times and it can take 10-12 hours. From what I know you can catch a bus from Poza Rica (1 hour north of Monte Gordo) to Queretero and from there I'm sure there are many lines going to SMA. The bus service from Poza Rica to Quertero is mostly 2nd class so with all the stops they make it can take all day. Also, Hwy 130 from the coast up to the highlands is narrow and crowded and can be a hairy experience. It doesn't look far on the map, but I remember the 100 or so miles between Poza Rica and Huachinango took about 3 hours - and that was in a car. You'll save money taking the bus, but you definetely won't save any time. On the other had it's a pretty drive.

2. Re: Getting from Esmerelda Coast to San Miguel de Allende

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 19, 2009