We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Towns worth visiting overnight besides Taxco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Taxco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
Towns worth visiting overnight besides Taxco

In the next few weeks, I will be spending 5 days in Taxco (first time). I will have 3 days left and was wondering if someone could suggest a town that would be nice to stay a few nights in. At first, I thought about Cuernavaca, but now I am not sure. Is there any other town someone could suggest? I am flying in and out of Mexico City and will be taking a bus to get to Taxco and any other place I visit. Thanks for your input.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 15
1. Re: Towns worth visiting overnight besides Taxco

I'm forgetting the front part of your itinerary - but if it doesn't include some time exploring Mexico City I suggest you spend the extra time there.

If Mexico City has been crossed-off your list, and if you're interested in seeing more colonial cities, I like Tlaxcala (about 1:45 from Mexico City). Also near Tlaxcala is Puebla, a colonial city many people rave about.

If you want to get some "beach time" in before returning home, I suggest Acapulco.

I'm not a fan of Cuernavaca, as a destination, and I don't think there's much to enjoy there (well, not that I've found). Though, we each have our own likes/dislikes.

I don't know if I've shared my Mexico photo albums with you yet, but if you visit them you'll see lots of pictures of Mexico City, Tlaxcala and Acapulco - something to whet your appetite:

community.webshots.com/user/billmasterson

Austin, Texas
2. Re: Towns worth visiting overnight besides Taxco

gomexico - Thank you for your suggestions. I do not want the beach scene. I would rather see a more "colonial" Mexico. I have been many, many places in Mexico, but have never stayed overnight in Mexico City--it seems so overwhelming! I know I should, but would not know where to begin.

Are you familiar with Tepoztlan? I hear that is very nice as well. What about Ixtapan de la Sal?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 15
3. Re: Towns worth visiting overnight besides Taxco

I don't like Tepotzlan, but know that I'm in the minority of people who don't. Ixtapan de la Sal is a "hot springs" type town, not much to do but that. Toluca can be very interesting, and I particularly like Valle de Bravo. You could also visit Malinanco - and often overlooked "special" area in the state of Mexico.

Austin, Texas
4. Re: Towns worth visiting overnight besides Taxco

Valle de Bravo sounds really nice. I think I may go there. I imagine I can get a bus from Taxco to there and then one from there back to Mexico City to fly home.

5. Re: Towns worth visiting overnight besides Taxco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Taxco