We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

First time to Taxco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Taxco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Florida
First time to Taxco

Anyone have any suggestions regarding travel from Orlando, FL? Also, recommendations for hotels and silver shopping. What's the weather like end of January, early February? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 33
1. Re: First time to Taxco

Taxco is a wonderful place, though don't know about spending a lot of time there. I posted a message asking about the hotel De La Borda, but have had no responses yet. It was delightful years ago. I would look at MTA for a tour operator. Check with your travel agent. It's a great stop over between Mexico City and Acapulco. In fact MTA has that particular trip! I loved it, but it was years ago, so no recommendations on where to shop. There were lots of great shops then. The church is beautiful!

Ellensburg, WA
2. Re: First time to Taxco

Dear First Timer!

I am a first timer too. I am going to go to Taxco Jan 17 through the 31. I understand there is a few Festivals on the 18th through the 20th. I am staying at the Agua Escondido because after all the hotel search hopla' I decided it was the only one I could determine as the closest to the Borda (middle of town) It is actually supposed to be across the street to the Santa Prisca. Who really knows until you get there. My biggest concern is getting there from the airport via the Bus. Yikes! Now there is a scary thought! hahahah! I also read the Hotel Los Arcos was very good for the money and close to town too. 1 block over from this one. I had trouble finding a way to get a quote and buy a reservation though. Oh well! Good luck to you! If your going to be there at the same time, I would be willing to meet and swap FEARS! hahahah!

Ms Tracey mstracey@email.com

Boston, MA
reviews: 9
3. Re: First time to Taxco

The Agua Escondido is indeed near the zocala... the main square of Taxco and diagonally across from the Santa Prisca... It is a pretty basic hotel. Another hidden gem is the Santa Prisca hotel... a sleepy colonial hotel just down the street from the zocala..... another very interesting place is the Rancho Victoria.. further up the hill from the Santa Prisca.. originally designed by Wm. Spratling, the Rancho is cheap and romantic... also try Paco's Bar also on the square.. get a seat on the second floor for dinner and just watch the parade all night long...

regarding the bus... go to the south station in Mexico City, and take the Estrella d'Oro "Plus" service.. do NOT take any service below "Plus"

Sometimes I like to take the bus back to Cuernavaca, stay overnight at Las Mananitas, and get a private car to take me into the airport iun Mexico city the next morning. If I have to stay in Mexico City, I only go to the Maria Christina on Lerma.. rumor has it it was one of Panch Villa's houses.. have enough tequilla and you can see him riding in through the gate! This hotel was also a favorite during the 60's and 70's for spies from third or fourth-rate countries...some of whom never left... always some strange interesting character in the lobby for whom you can make up your own story.

Silver can cost anywhere from .30/gram to over $2.00/gr, depending on the quality. The weather is very nice at the end of January.. February is sometimes called "loco Febrero" because of the crazy winds...

4. Re: First time to Taxco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:36 am, June 13, 2014
waukegan Illinois
5. Re: First time to Taxco

Well I have been to Taxco many times!!! I was born in IL but, my mom is from Taxco and she has taken us many times to meet our family and get to know her town. I think it's a calm and relaxing place when we are at my grandma's house ...it's just another world for me compared to the city. The church Santa Prisca has a history.There are people that take you around for a tour which ends in a silver stand/store and they show you how they make the silver. The Mercado is great also you can find many souveniers, t-shirts, food, silver, etc.....

And on Saturdays by the bus stations a lot of people put there stands and you can find the cheapest silver right then and there!!

Remember Taxco is nice but, like in every place you go be careful.....don't carry to much gold on you ....

well good luck to all and I hope you enjoy your self's!!!!

Springfield, MO
6. Re: First time to Taxco

You might check out Casa de las Palmas at www.bearport.org/Villa It is a beautiful villa for about the same price as a nice hotel. It is also just a block or so from the main square and shopping.

Get answers to your questions about Taxco