We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September 13 Update Please

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
September 13 Update Please

My wife and I are in our mid sixties (therefore need to be careful) and are booked in mid January for a week in Oaxaca. we have been carefully reading the positngs but have seen nothing significant for a couple of weeks. we need to decide whether to cancel.

What is it like as of now and what are the chances that it will return to "normal" before January please.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 67
1. Re: September 13 Update Please

No one knows when it will return to normal. Things are improving, yet in yesterday's news I read of an "alert" being issued by one group of protesters. On the other hand I also spoke to a neighbor, a teacher who was at a recent assembly and reported to me conflict between the two groups, the teachers' union and APPO, suggesting an earlier rather than later resolution for the teachers since they are now without salaries and their demands in my opinion are tangible and relatively easily attainable, including the removal of the governor in December. What will happen if one group settles and the other is not satisfied we cannot know, but can hypothesize, which is of little assurance. There is definite improvement on the streets downtown. However it was reported to me earlier today that two major downtown well-known restaurants are now closed, but we can only hope until the mess is resolved. I won't name them until I've walked by so I can confirm. Ask your landlord, and if you get a glowing positive report, you know to question it. Then ask other hoteliers of whom you inquired before selecting your current accommodations. You may get a more honest and evenhanded report. I get inquiries on almost a daily basis from people who are not staying with us but have inquired. I know that there are hoteliers who are simply saying everyone should come and things are fine. That's not the case. Rather than looking for an opinion on whether to come, seek objective information about what the streets and blockades are like, reports of downtown vandalism, police presence or lack thereof, impediments to reaching the villages for markets, crafts, etc. Yes there are still blockades, yes there are still reports of vandalism and vigilante groups have emerged on particular streets and neighborhoods, no there is not a significant police presence (only traffic cops) and no there are not impediments to getting out to the villages, apart from downtown delays. Today I received a trip summary from guests who left us on Sept 10 which I will send to those inquiring directly. It was unsolicited and honest from the perspective of a tourist. But each tourist has a different perception of intimidation and uneasiness and what constitutes a good vacation. Media does not tend to report amelioration, only exacerbation of problems, in my opinion, and thus if it doens't get worse you won't likely read of improvements. Good luck.

Vancouver
2. Re: September 13 Update Please

Thank you very much titosarah for your kind assistance.

In your message you refer to the possible removal of the Governor in December. From this I gather that there may or may not be further distubances depending on this December event.- (election?).

Time is running out on our chances to find a suitable alternative destination and accomodation (we are committed to flying into Mexico City and could change direction from there) but I will continue to watch for further messages form you in the forum over the next two weeks and then bite the bullet. Your balanced view is much appreciated.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 67
3. Re: September 13 Update Please

Assuming federally things don't go crazy, and if you're reluctant to come to Oaxaca but still want Meixco's interior, you can get a wonderful first class bus from the airport in Mexico City that in 2 hours takes you to Puebla, a much larger city than Oaxaca but with nevertheless a lot to do and see. Hotels might get filled because of people wanting Puebla as an alternate desitination, but there are several reasonably priced within three blocks of the zocalo. If you email me I can make a couple of hotel recommendations. The bus line is Estrella Roja, and it leaves every hour or so, shows a movie, gives snacks, etc. Anyone at the airport can direct you to the depot. Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast.

4. Re: September 13 Update Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 17, 2009