We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 13
Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

We are arriving into Oaxaca on the 30th October until 8th November and staying at a B&B. We would like to do some tours to visit the graveyards and festivities and see the local handicrafts.

Can anybody recommend some great tours please and what are the best things to see and do? We don't want to be in a massive group and don't speak Spanish I'm afraid.

13 replies to this topic
oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 63
1. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

A Canadian craft beer expert has a tour arranged through Merit Travel (specialty travel company), for the beginning of November, and there may be a couple of spaces left. It goes from November 1 through the 8th and includes Muertos activities, craft beer, mezcal, lots of culture, cooking, cuisine, etc. I can email you the brochure if you request it from me at oaxacadream@hotmail.com.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

London, United...
2. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

Thank you Alvin. Yes that would be interesting. I'm not sure if we want to sign up to an 8 day tour maybe just to dip in and out. It does sound good though! My partner and I love craft beer!! Thank you again.

Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 7
3. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

My sister and I are also going to be down for the same dates.

She speaks Spanish, I have a great smile. We might want to have a guide into the cemeteries

And maybe we can share a guide for the night event?

Andrea

Round Top, Texas
4. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

Andrea,

Have you found a good day of the dead tour ? Will be in Oaxaca from 10/30 to 11/4 and was looking for a short tour........nothing too long !

thanks,

dempsey

Chicago
reviews: 19
5. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

I'd contact the Insituto Cultural de Oaxaca. http://www.icomexico.com/index.php

Their professors and guides are well-connected in Oaxaca - the owner is 5th generation Oaxacan and is completing a book manuscript about notable women in a few Oaxacan families. The organization has years and years of experience bringing Oaxacan culture to people from all over the world.

I bring my undergraduates here for study abroad. The professors regularly astound me. They are like walking encyclopedias of history and traditions.

Tell 'em "Kim from Chicago" sent you. ;)

Los Angeles, CA
6. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

Just emailed the institute regarding tours for next week's day of the dead! Thanks for the lead.

Columbus, OH
reviews: 1
7. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

Here is another possibility. I just received my weekly newsletter from the Oaxaca Lending Library (an expat organization) and see that they have several activities including cemetary tours scheduled for Day of the Dead week. You can find these on the home page:

oaxlibrary.org/Oaxaca_Lending_Library/Home.h…

Hampshire
8. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

Hi

I recommend you contact http://www.icomexico.com/, http://www.mocadventures.com/muertos.php

The people are fab they have lots of things going on.

Enjoy it is amazing

For anyone wanting a trip try these (same people as above) http://www.mocadventures.com/muertos.php

I cannot rate them highly enough and I went with very high expectations.

M

Columbus, OH
reviews: 1
9. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

MaxxyHampshire,

There is a comma right after the first link you provide above that causes Internet Explorer to generate an error message when clicked. I think you can just edit your first message and fix this.

Los Angeles, CA
10. Re: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca

We are on this tour oct 31st with the lending library! Not sure how to get back... At 11pm from the return site- the botanical garden at that hour... Ideas?

Reply to: Day of the dead tours in Oaxaca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted