We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mimbres, New Mexico
Tipping

The posts on this topic are several years old.

Questions .. information of tipping taxi drivers

percent or common tip for meals

common tip for hotel maids in inexpensive hotels

Thanks, I will be there in 16 days:)

Mimbres, New Mexico
1. Re: Tipping

I did a search before I posted this and didn't come up with anything current, since then I have been looking and have found some great advice.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 99
2. Re: Tipping

Tipping is a topic that gets all sorts of reactions. Some emotional. Some simply ignoring different practises suit different regions. I use the example that we don't tip gas station attendants and grocery store packers, but we generally tip taxi drivers in Vancouver. In Mexico it is common to tip grocery packers and gas attendants but generally not taxi drivers. Just different customs. The following seems reasonably balanced by many contributors: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g150768-s606/Mexico:Ti…

Columbus, OH
reviews: 1
3. Re: Tipping

The link AlegreVancouver gave is accurate except for the restaurant section. The bills no longer break out the IVA. We always tip 15% rounded up or down of the total (for good service, of course) . Unless the bill is very small, then I leave 10 pesos.

We have asked our middle-class Mexican friends and this is what they do also.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 63
4. Re: Tipping

Here's a link to an article I recently wrote about tipping in Oaxaca:

suite101.com/a/tipping-oaxaca-mexico-restaur…

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 9:26 pm, February 07, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 64
5. Re: Tipping

I tip what I would tip here in Canada. People are waiting tables, taxi drivers, tour guides, etc. they work as hard if not harder than in Canada. I tend to tip on the high side since I have worked in the service industry waiting tables to pay my way through university and know what a difference it can make. However, I do not tip for crappy service.

In my opinion, our dollar goes very far in Mexico and I don't mind tipping around 20% for restaurant bills and taxi rides. For chambermaids, I make sure I tip daily rather than once at the end of my stay to ensure everyone gets something rather than the person who is working on the last day.

Edited: 6:47 pm, February 08, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
6. Re: Tipping

I've read the argument - from an expat living in Mexico - that bringing your foreign tipping styles to Mexico makes it hard for the locals. Taxi drivers, for example, will drive right past locals trying to flag them down (they tip 0%), hoping for the elusive 20% tourist tip.

When in Rome...

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 99
7. Re: Tipping

Viajero...thanks for saying what I wasn't prepared to do. Travellers should immerse themselves in the culture they visit rather than impose theirs on others.

8. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 11, 2014