We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 22
Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Hi everyone. Has anyone had a good experience buying Oaxacan coffee online from a particular source? I want to order some nand make sure I get the real thing.

I think I'm looking for Pluma coffee. I bought some type of grounds from a shop a block or to from the Camino Real (toward the cathedral) more than 10 years ago, and I can't remember what kind it was. The name Pluma is sticking in my head because I had Pluma coffee in Huatulco around the same time. But if I don't find the exact type I bought then, that's okay. Just trying to order something close.

Thanks for your help!

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 63
1. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Unfortunately I've never been all that impressed with Oaxacan coffee. Two days ago I bought some in Pluma Hidalgo (probably the coffee you mean), brewed it today, and it just doesn't compare to Blasón Gourmet Espresso mixed with run-of-the-mill coffee. Your memory might be richer than the coffee you had ten years ago, so proceed with caution. Perhaps try the Huatulco forum if you're intent upon coffee from Pluma Hidalgo.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

2. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Thanks, Alvin. You know, I gave the coffee from Oaxaca to my sister, who is a bit of an aficianado. She's the ine who wants to buy more online. She definitely loved whatever it was that I brought home, but it was so long ago, I don't remember what it was called. The term "pluma" is somethig I encountered in Huatulco, so I'm wondering if most of the coffee in Oaxaca is classified as Pluma coffee. Do you know?

3. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Thanks, Alvin. You know, I gave the coffee from Oaxaca to my sister, who is a bit of an aficianado. She's the ine who wants to buy more online. She definitely loved whatever it was that I brought home, but it was so long ago, I don't remember what it was called. The term "pluma" is somethig I encountered in Huatulco, so I'm wondering if most of the coffee in Oaxaca is classified as Pluma coffee. Do you know?

Also, what is Blason Gourmet Espresso?

New York
reviews: 2
4. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Alvin, Can I ask you where you can get Blasón Gourmet Espresso? I'm in Oaxaca for a few weeks and will soon need coffee as my "imported" supply is about to run out. Many thanks!

Kathy

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 63
5. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

The most reliable outlet, Kathy, is Chedraui. There are three Chedraui supermarket branches in the city, so your landlord / hotel manager should be able to easily tell you the closest. Enjoy.

In the future, people who have a specific direct question that likely isn't of interest to most TA Oaxaca enthusiasts, it's best to send me a private message, which comes to my attention much quicker that scrolling down to Oaxaca topics .... or email me. Thanks.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 4:50 pm, February 03, 2013
Mankato, Minnesota
reviews: 51
6. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Pluma Mountain Coffee co had a very reasonable price on their 5 pound whole bean bag. Anyone know if it's the real deal? We still have 3 kilos, but at a kilo every 2.5 weeks we're gonna need to restock in a couple of months.

San Marcos, Texas...
7. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Hi,

I bought 20 lbs of green beans Mexico Oaxaca Pluma decaf frm Sweet Marie's coffee and did my own roasting. Best coffee ever and I have roasted many. However, they don't have anymore so I need a new source of this. Anybody know where I can get 20 to 100 lbs?

Larrybp@gmail.com

Ajijic, Mexico
8. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

We live in Ajijic and buy Oaxacan coffee from a local shop. It is our favorite coffee. We are worried we won't be able to find it back in the US when we return home. :-(

berwyn, illinois
reviews: 5
9. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

I really enjoyed the coffee I brought home from Pluma Hidalgo but I am sure a huge part of that was the freshness. You can't get much fresher unless you roast it yourself. The beans were roasted to order while I waited.

reviews: 25
10. Re: Oaxacan coffee - available online?

Can you tell me if Oaxacan coffee is mild or strong? I have always found that Mexican coffee to be really weak and watery. I am bringing my own Cuban style coffee to Oaxaca when I go to Oaxaca. I am that much of a coffee addict that I need my correct dose of morning brew or I just cant function.