We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Oaxaca- a couple of questions

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 9
4 days in Oaxaca- a couple of questions

My husband and I are planning on visiting Oaxaca in Mid March for 4 days. We hope to get some advice from the forum:

First: is there a safety issue? ( drug war). Are Mosquitos a problem in March?

And now for the fun questions: Are 4 days enough? We were thinking of hiring a tour guide for a day trip, or two. Will appreciate advice on which is the best side trip? Any recommendations for a tour guide ( English speaking) .

Thanks in advance for any tips about what we should know about Oaxaca (in addition to what we read in the travel books).

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 43
1. Re: 4 days in Oaxaca- a couple of questions

There are no drug wars here and no safety issues aside from what you'd find in any city of comparable size in the US or Canada. Mosquitos are not an issue at that time of year, since it's still dry season. Four days is not enough. There are two main touring routes, each very different, so you may want to do both of them. I would recommend 5 - 6 days in all, spending two of them touring and the rest seeing the downtown sights, perhaps a cooking class, perhaps the ethnobotanical gardens, visits to churches, the Santa Domingo Cultural Center, San Pablo, other museums, etc, etc, etc. There are other routes which might interest you. Here is a link to some (deliberately) stale dates routes I conjured up, which will give you an idea about what's around in the central valleys, but the listing is certainly not exhaustive. Scroll down to the Just Plain Advice for Tourists section, and you'll see a link to several touring routes: http://www.oaxacadream.com/articlesmain.html. Enjoy your visit.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

2. Re: 4 days in Oaxaca- a couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 27, 2014