We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop in between Oaxaca and Pelenque.

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 1
Where to stop in between Oaxaca and Pelenque.

I am in Oaxaca right now and will be driving to Palenque in a day or two. I do not want to drive straight there and would like to see a town or two along the way. Anyone have a suggestion of what route to take or what towns I should stop into?

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
1. Re: Where to stop in between Oaxaca and Pelenque.

San Cristobal de las Casas.

Worthy of as many days as you can afford.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 65
2. Re: Where to stop in between Oaxaca and Pelenque.

I agree 110%, Driving with your foot to the metal should take about 8.5 hours, perhaps a bit less with improved highways since my last visit. An alternative stopover is Chiapa de Corzo, but not too much to see there except the Cañon de Sumadero, worth a drive up the mountain or boat ride. Chiapa de Corzo is only a 40 minute drive from SC de las C. There are one or two articles kicking around the internet about the drive, which I've written, one from Oaxaca to SC de las C and another on to Palenque. Try searching my name and the places you want to visit, on www.suite101.com, for starters.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Victoria, Canada
3. Re: Where to stop in between Oaxaca and Pelenque.

We are only looking for a place to stop for the night before heading to SC de las C. Is there a town that has a few safe hotels, perhaps Tehuantepec or Juchitan de Zaragoza? They are pretty well half way to SC se las C.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 65
4. Re: Where to stop in between Oaxaca and Pelenque.

I mention a guest house here: www.oaxacadream.com/articles/tourist16.html (the article is somewhat stale dated so don't rely on it for highway quality, ongoing improvements, etc.) but it's probably too close to Oaxaca for you, and if I recall correctly it's rather basic. I don't think safety should be a concern, but I don't really think you'll find too much to really "like" unless you go right into Salina Cruz, not one of my favourite cities, but not because of safety or security concerns. My suggestion is to start out really early, and stay in Chiapa de Corzo, then do the Cañon de Sumidero in the morning, then carry on to SC de las C.

There was a post on this topic a few months ago, and someone did have a hotel suggestion, but to be honest I'll have to leave it up to you to find it, since I'm sure I'm no more efficient at that kind of thing than you are.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Victoria, Canada
5. Re: Where to stop in between Oaxaca and Pelenque.

Thanks for the info. I will start out early and make it to sc de las c hopefully. I just wanted to have a safe place to stop just in case something happened. As most of this is not a toll highway, I am a bit concerned.

6. Re: Where to stop in between Oaxaca and Pelenque.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 23, 2014