We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hierve El Agua

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 39
Hierve El Agua

Hi

I will be travelling to Oaxaca in late Nov with my husband and am interested in seeing the Hierve El Agua, but am not really interested in a tour.

Is it easy to arrange a driver for a day/half day? Any guesses on the cost?

Also I've read mixed reviews about the site so happy to hear any comments on visting Hierve El Agua.

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Oaxaca, Mexico
1. Re: Hierve El Agua

Hi

You can get a colectivo (shared taxi) from Mitla to Hierve de Agua. There are lots of colectivos to Mitla on Ninos Heroes de Chapultepec in front of the McDonald's.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 63
2. Re: Hierve El Agua

Drivers (as in taxi) cost roughly 150 pesos per hour, and guides cost around $25 - $30 USD per hour, some more and some less, for a couple. I recommend against the colectivos from Mitla to Hierve el Agua, only because you will likely be travelling in the back of a small covered pickup, sitting on a bench. If you don't mind the discomfort, and / or that's what you can afford, then by all means use a colectivo. Otherwise spring for something more comfortable as a driver / guide with a comfy van or late model car. This way you can also stop at the small mezcal palenques en route, perhaps at a nice little roadside comedor, etc., and make the ride part of the experience.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

San Marcos, TX
reviews: 6
3. Re: Hierve El Agua

We were there in late December 2012 and we took a second class bus from that station in Oaxaca city to Mitla. There is a local pick up truck service waiting there in Mitla to take you to hierve de agua for 30 pesos per person each way. Sometimes you have to wait a while and consequently we took a taxi for 200 pesos one way. I must say without a doubt the scariest drive I have ever been on in my life passing other cars on blind curves with 1000 foot drops off the cliffs the whole way. Even after saying in Spanish we were scared he still drove like a mad man. Take the pick up truck for 30 pesos and enjoy! Thats what we did coming back.

Columbus, OH
reviews: 1
4. Re: Hierve El Agua

Whichever transportation you choose, check first in Oaxaca city to see if the road from Mitla into the mountains is open. You will be there around the end of the rainy season and sometimes the road is impassable. Your hotel or B and B should be able to find out for you.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 3
5. Re: Hierve El Agua

I am not a person who does tours but they are so inexpensive and you don't have to worry about directions, getting lost, etc. My tour was about 7 hours long which included a visit to a weaver, a mezcal plant, Mitla, a place to eat, then Hierve de Agua all for $150 MXP = around $10 USD. We did get a deal and what we paid is not the price they offer to everyone. However I think it wouldn't cost you more than $23 USD if they did charge you regular price.

Hierve de Agua is so amazing once you get up there. Its 45min bumpy, mountain road getting up there and if you are the type to get car sick, be sure to take something! The tour gave us 3 hours to check out the place, swim and watch the sunset.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 39
6. Re: Hierve El Agua

Thanks Murphy. I'm starting to think a tour might be easier. What company did you use? Was there a lot of pressure to buy stuff at the weavers and mescal place? And were these stops interesting?

Givat Olga
reviews: 85
7. Re: Hierve El Agua

I'll be in Oaxaca soon, but I'm not sure I'll have enough time to take a tour, so private driver will be a better option. How long will take the road from Oaxaca ? I'm trying to calculate minimal time for this trip. Of cause, I'll be adding an hour or two just in case...

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
8. Re: Hierve El Agua

Tasta: It takes 1.3 to 1.5 hours to get from Oaxaca to Hierve el Agua if you use a half decent driver with a good vehicle. But it would be a shame to not stop en route at El Tule, Teotitlán del Valle, and perhaps a cotton textile village on route, certainly Tlacolula if on a Sunday, a quaint mezcal distillery, and / or Mitla or another ruin. Take the time and spend an entire day along that route. It's a waste to miss some of the stops en route unless of course you want to spend a full day there swimming and hiking.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast; Oaxaca Culinary Tours

San Francisco...
reviews: 44
9. Re: Hierve El Agua

I would say, take a tour. You will get a chance to see a lot of things, as Alvin mentioned, and we never felt any pressure to buy. Tours are quite inexpensive and totally worth it! We paid $300 pecos each for the entire day of entertainment, and we also did not have lots of days in Oaxaca, but wanted to see a lot. Hierve El Agua was definitely a highlight of the trip. They usually give you enough time to walk around or even take a dip if you wish. The road is beautiful and you just want to relax and enjoy it. Ask your hotel, im sure they will reccomend a company to go with. We went with Quinta Real Oaxaca hotel tour company and it was excellent( our hotel arranged it). I would not rely on the private driver, and than also, you will want to learn about all the cites visited , always inspiring and educating! Enjoy your time!

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
10. Re: Hierve El Agua

If you are on a strict budget, then the 209Elena suggestion is great, but if you can afford a private driver or guide, a good one, then you'll also have an opportunity to get to some off-the-beaten-track sights where tourists rarely go, en route to Hieve el Agua, such as a quaint roadside comedor for lunch either en route or at Alice's at the site, Xaagá or San José del Paso for cotton textiles, San Marcos Tlapazola for red clay pottery, and more homey, small rug workshops which do not get the tour buses on a daily basis. You pay more, but the experience ends up being much more real, and richer. But yes, for budget travelers, hopping on a tour bus or van is a great option.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Reply to: Hierve El Agua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted