We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginner's surfing at the west coast of Mexico, December

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burnaby, British...
Beginner's surfing at the west coast of Mexico, December

Hi, I am trying to find a nice surf spot for beginners at the west coast of mexico for December and I would like it to be a beautiful place with nice beaches and sand, suitable waves and it would be great if there will be some historical or archaeological sights around ,so it will be possible to drive there. Right now I am thinking about Sayulita, Nayarit,and Puerto Escondido and Playa Carrizalillo, Oaxaca, cause it seems like this places located not very far from historical areas. Also I am thinking about Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco... If anybody can share experience about these places and their surfing conditions?

Thank you

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 67
1. Re: Beginner's surfing at the west coast of Mexico, December

Playa Carrizalillo is actually a sheltered bay which is part of Puerto Escondido. So staying at either beach affords you the opportunity to take surfing lessons, with the option of surfing at Zicatela, the main surfing area of Puerto Escondido. I don't surf but my recollection is that the surf is not as strong in December at Zicatela as during many other months. The main beach area of Puerto Escondido, that is Zicatela, provides a much broader range of accommodation styles and prices than Carrizalillo, so do not discount Puerto Escondido and then taking lessons at Carrizalillo. Surfing instructors will take you to / meet you at Carrizalillo for lessons, since it is a 5 minute drive from the main beach area, and extremely inexpensive getting there by taxi. Puerto Escondido is a 35 minute flight from Oaxaca, filled with history and culture.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

2. Re: Beginner's surfing at the west coast of Mexico, December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, December 16, 2013