We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What destination can I couple Oaxaca with?

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 77
What destination can I couple Oaxaca with?

My partner and I are attending a wedding in Oaxaca in March, it's our first time in Mexico and will dedicate 5 days to Oaxaca and have another 7 days where we are not sure what to do with.

Are there any recommendations of towns, beaches, places of interest near Oaxaca that are unmissable for 2 culture and food lovers? We don't mind a short flight to another part of Mexico if need be.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 99
1. Re: What destination can I couple Oaxaca with?

I guess the best place to start is where can you fly direct from Oaxaca? Huatulco and Puerto Escondito airports for sure. Probably not the Mayan side. If it is culture and food I'd discover Mexico City. It is unlike any other place in North America. If it is beach towns, there are many within a taxi ride of Huatulco. I like Zipolite/San Agustinillo/Mazunte all side by side within a few miles.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 65
2. Re: What destination can I couple Oaxaca with?

I echo most of the thoughts of the previous poster. However, Oaxaca is renowned for the best regional / local food in the country, so you might want to consider one or two cooking classes, and a day or two touring the central valley sights with an emphasis on the better markets in the towns and villages where you can explore the region's gastronomy. Remember that the central valleys of Oaxaca are rich in pre-hispanic ruins, craft villages, natural wonders, dominican churches, etc, etc etc, and that in the city there are several museums, galleries, etc. You will probably be spending most of those five days with wedding related activities, and if so you can easily spend the balance of the vacation with food, drink and cultural activities without leaving the region, guaranteed to not get bored or lack cultural stimulation. I would therefore suggest considering at minimum spending 2 - 3 additional days in Oaxaca, with the remaining 4 - 5 days in either Huatulco or Puerto Escondido, either staying put in either city or as the previous poster suggested, exploring other coastal areas. Beaches are beaches, throughout the world, but culture is unique to specific regions, and the state of Oaxaca has 16 different broad cultures with a plethora of additional micro-cultures within each.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 77
3. Re: What destination can I couple Oaxaca with?

Thanks Alegre and titosarah, great insights.

Cochrane, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: What destination can I couple Oaxaca with?

Both poster have valid points and there is so much to see. I am still working on it and I live here most of the year. Like Alegre I love the area of Puerto Angle, Zipolite, San Agustinillo and Mazunte etc. Here are some of the great beaches in this area. ownmexico.org/beaches-of-the-oaxaca-coast/

Cheers,

Brent

5. Re: What destination can I couple Oaxaca with?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 25, 2014