We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Oaxaca - any possible stops?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 24
drive from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Oaxaca - any possible stops?

In february 2013 we will be doing a trip in Southern Mexico with a rental car. It makes no sense because of the costs to leave the car in Tuxtla and get on a bus if it is 4 people.

The drive from T.G to Oaxaca seems to be a 10 hour drive... at least.

I have checked booking.com and other sites, but it seems there are no possible stops somewhere halthway where we could spend a night and make it a bit more comfortable.

Or am I mistaken? Could anybody suggest a normal hotel or inn on the way?

Thank you!

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 68
1. Re: drive from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Oaxaca - any possible stops?

There are small hotels in some of the towns, nothing great. One option, a bit out of the way, would be to stop in Huatulco, or Salina Cruz which is not at all out of the way. Take a look at a map of your route, with times and distances, and then look up accommodations in Tehuantepec and Juchitán. But heading northwest and inland from the coast, to Oaxaca, there's not too much except small places, basically roadside motels and small basic hotels. We do the drive in 8.5 - 9 hours.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 24
2. Re: drive from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Oaxaca - any possible stops?

Thank you for the information!

I thought of this place here: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1026026-d23…

Do you happen to know it? So this way we dont have to drive to Salina, but we cut the 9 hours drive in two.

How is the drive? Is it all 2 lanes, or is it 4 lanes? We thought to take the shortcut between Tehuantepec and Oaxaca without driving further on the 200 road to Huatulco, although it might be much nicer, but I read in an other forum the road between Huatulco and Oaxaca is too mountainos, too dangerious for driving, too curvy.

I appreciate if you answer!

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 68
3. Re: drive from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Oaxaca - any possible stops?

It's been close to two years since I've driven 190 to the coast, and four years since driving to Tuxtla. There was a lot of highway widening four years ago, around La Ventosa, in some cases causing delays, and in other cases meaning that there were completed four-lane wonderful highways. But count on mainly two lanes. Of the three main highways going from Oaxaca to the coast, 190 has always been the best. Yes, there are very curvy sections, but I would not call them dangerous. They can be particularly difficult during the rainy season, with the odd washout or fallen rock, but you'll be travelling in the middle of the dry season. Close to Oaxaca there are sections of the new highway which have been opened, but I don't know if any of the sections further towards the coast can be used. Don't count on it. Regarding too curvy and dangerous, my wife and I both enjoy the drive and have done it several times .... but she takes dramamine. The hotel is what it is. I can't pass judgement because I have not stayed there, but you have two tripadvisor members who have, one of whom has provided a lot of detail.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Oaxaca
4. Re: drive from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Oaxaca - any possible stops?

There is the Hotel Calli, just outside Tehauntepec

www.hotelcalli.com/CalliDocs/tehuantepec.htm

We stayed overnight there about five years ago and it was a comfortable place to break the drive from the coast to Oaxaca.

oaxaca, oaxaca
reviews: 39
5. Re: drive from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Oaxaca - any possible stops?

just got back from doing that drive. Their is cuota most of the way now. I would recommend a stop in Juichitan. A little out of the way but charming - the central hotel their is very near the market http://hotelcentral.com.mx/

We had no problem with the road but I definitely would not travel at night. The area is fairly remote where the road goes.

If not Tehuantepec is a great destination. Make sure you eat ganaches at the square in the evening. - really not much else to do.

It would be a shame to be so close and not spend at least a little time in this special part of Oaxaca

6. Re: drive from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Oaxaca - any possible stops?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 12, 2013