We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Oaxaca - What to see?

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
reviews: 3
3 Days in Oaxaca - What to see?

We have 3 full days in Oaxaca and need some advice. We are thinking of spending one day in the city walking around and visitng galleries, churches etc. My plan is to rent a car for a day but the dilema is how much can we see in that day. I am most interested in visitng the villages; seeing the artisans at work, getting a feel for the local culture. I have no big desire to see any of the ruins. Can we take both the route towards Ocotlan and perhaps go as far as Teotitlan all in day? I think renting a car is more econimcal than hiring a car and driver. Any suggestions would be helpful............

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 63
1. Re: 3 Days in Oaxaca - What to see?

Yes renting a car is more economical than hiring a quality guide, but perhaps about the same as hiring a taxi or inexpensive driver. Yes, you can conceivably visit Teotitlán del Valle and the stops along the Ocotlán route in one day .... if you know exactly where to go to get from one highway to another, and know exactly which workshops you should be visiting or want to see. A GPS probably does not help you with the relatively new traffic configurations often called vueltas inglesas, so consider that before renting. Also consider parking where you'll be staying since many hotels and inns do not offer parking. Consider the cost of insurance on top of the base rate, and tax which not all rental companies disclose online when you book. You should also consider the fact that sometimes, though infrequently, there are marches and road blockades which can delay getting into and out of the city. Local drivers know how to get around them. You probably do not. Drivers often do a bit of travel on dirt roads to get you into and out of town when there are traffic problems. At least one rental company states in the fine print that you are not allowed to travel on dirt roads. They probably all state the same thing.

Not to disuade you from renting a car, entirely, but with only three days in Oaxaca, unless you plan to return soon, in my opinion if you can afford it you're much better off hiring a good guide and having him or her plan out how best you can see all of the central valley sights which interest you, before your arrival in the city.

This article might help you, and in it there is an embedded link to an article about renting a car in Oaxaca: suite101.com/article/tour-guide-driver-taxi-… The articles are somewhat outdated, but almost all of the information still applies. Hertz is no longer in the city of Oaxaca.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 225
2. Re: 3 Days in Oaxaca - What to see?

Alvin:

RE: Your comment on GPS

We visited in August and I had just updated our Garmin Mexico maps. To give you an example, I programmed the GPS going from Casantica to an address in Teotitlán del Valle. While I knew the actual house number wouldn't work, the address was on San Francisco, a dirt road about 15 turns off the main road through Teotitlan. The unit took us directly to the street and I had a 50/50 chance of choosing left or right and picked wrong but after turning around we found the address. To be quite honest, I was amazed!

Another day, we were driving up to Monte Alban and I choose to follow signs instead of the GPS. We ended up taking the back scenic route but on the way back down, we followed the GPS the preferable route. Live and learn!

We drove 2600 miles this last trip and there was a very noticeable improvement in the Mexico maps.

Benson, Arizona
reviews: 1
3. Re: 3 Days in Oaxaca - What to see?

Alvin I tried your link and it said..."sadly this page doesn't exist anymore...." thought you should know..

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 63
4. Re: 3 Days in Oaxaca - What to see?

Perhaps try again, or it's possible you have to now join suite101.com:

suite101.com/article/tour-guide-driver-taxi-… I just called up the article by using search words, and it came up. The website has recently been revamped, so there could be issues. I just found it by searching on the suite101 website "taxi driver oaxaca alvin." Sorry for the inconvenience. There is another one on that site about renting a car in Oaxaca, perhaps more to the point. Surf around and you should find them (and approximately 100 others of my Oaxaca articles on that website alone).

For a broader range of articles about craft options for visiting, and other interesting sights in the central valleys, here are two other links on websites which I control so you shouldn't have problems:

http://www.oaxacadream.com/articlesmain.html

casamachaya.com/mexico-today-cl-blog-posts.h…

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Benson, Arizona
reviews: 1
5. Re: 3 Days in Oaxaca - What to see?

WOW thanks for those two sites...they are awesome...

6. Re: 3 Days in Oaxaca - What to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 13, 2013