We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Olympia, Washington
reviews: 48
If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

We loved the architecture, zocalo, huge mercado, and arts/crafts of Oaxaca city- as well as the warmth and kindness of the people. Now we are looking for another place in Mexico to explore. Suggestions for another place with a zocalo, mercado, arts/crafts, beauty?

Thanks kindly, ~Heidi

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 67
1. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

I'm working on the answer to that myself.

So far I can confirm Merida and San Cristobal de las Casas as being cut from the same cloth (similar but different), and my to-do list of additional candidates includes Guanajuato, Queretaro, Guadalajara, and DF - plus a handful of smaller places as well.

But so far, Oaxaca remains my favourite.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 69
2. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

My vote go to Pátzcuaro, with runners up San Cristobal de las Casas and Guanajuato. Personally, for a return visit Pátzcuaro will be the first. Impressed with size, general level of comfort, number of days you can spend visiting sights and their diversity (natural, historical and cultural), proximity to Morelia (and el DF for general transport from Edmonton, Toronto, etc.).

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 67
3. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

Ah yes, I forgot Patzcuaro; it's on my to-do list too. Maybe I'll kick it up the list a notch or two.

Olympia, Washington
4. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

Thanks kindly for the advice! I'll start looking at Patzcuaro and San Cristobal de las Casas.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 309
5. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

Another vote for Patzcuaro, still one of our favorite cities in Mexico. While a good part of the attraction is Patzcuaro itself, we spend a good deal of time visiting the towns and villages throughout the area.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 69
6. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

Regarding Patzcuaro, you'll note that tripadvisor has a travel alert, I believe the same as the one from the US state department. The last I checked it was for all locations in the state of Michoacán aside from two, and Patzcuaro was not one of the two "safe and secure" locations. In my lay opinion, the alert is grossly blown out of proportion, at least based on having spent 10 or so days in May, 2012, driving all around the countryside near Patzcuaro and of course in the city itself. Naturally you will always come across people who have troubling things to say about everywhere, I imagine including Olympia.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Albuquerque, New...
7. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

Alvin:

You are correct that the US has had a virtually permanent travel advisory for the State of Michoacan since 2008 or 2009. Since it has been a favorite of ours, I watch the Mexican media reports out of that area very closely. I will admit that there have been "hotspots" scattered throughout this very large State. That said, we have always felt comfortable traveling the back roads in the Lake Patzcuaro area. In fact, when there this past August, we took a loop drive around Lake Patzcuaro visiting the towns of Tzintzuntzan, Capula, Quiroga, Santa Fe, Erongaricuaro and Tocuaro. Video of the drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGrfjSBJdrc

When heading to Guadalajara from Patzcuaro, we took the back roads through Quiroga to Zacapu to Panandicuaro to catch the cuota.

We had spent five nights in Oaxaca just prior to this and drove to many towns and villages in the Oaxaca Valley. Michoacan felt no different than drive in and around Oaxaca.

Olympia, Washington
8. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

Thanks, titosarah, for the perspective. I did see that travel alert and wonder.

And thanks, chinagringo, for the advice (sounds like a wonderful tour) and the video~ we especially enjoyed the soundtrack!

Edited: 12:07 am, October 02, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
reviews: 23
9. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

Can anyone comment on the well-known San Miguel Allende in comparison to this group of suggestions?

Albuquerque, New...
10. Re: If I love Oaxaca City, then I'll love...

juliest:

At the risk of upsetting some folks from San Miguel de Allende, I will attempt to answer. However, my comments are made with the caveat: we each have differing needs, hopes and desires for any place we visit.

Based upon a couple of trips to San Miguel de Allende, we didn't care for our perceived negative effects on the city from the large foreign resident population (Gringos) and the influx of foreign tourists. An instant turnoff for us is when merchants quote prices in US $$$'s since it tends to be an indicator that one is being subjected to "Gringo pricing". Pricing in hotels and restaurants appears to be what the traffic will bear and all too often at the high end of the scale for services or product rendered.

Our last visit was in 2011 and from an acquaintance who recently moved from there, they are having real issues with the brick ovens in the area burning plastics, tires and other refuse as a replacement for a short supply of firewood. Between this, the buses and general congestion of other vehicles, I understand that the air pollution has become quite a problem.

On the other hand, San Miguel de Allende and other nearby cities in Guanajuato have been relatively immune from the narco violence. They are apparently enjoying an influx of more shopping options with larger stores locating in the general area.

Just one person's opinion and I am sure others will chime in with differing opinions!