We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca Language schools

Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Pennsylvania
reviews: 6
Oaxaca Language schools

We are a 60 year old couple looking to attend a Spanish language school in Oxaca this fall. Any recommendations or warnings?

26 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
1. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I spend 3 weeks in July-first week of August at Spanish Magic- adjaent to rear of Botanical Garden- 3 hours per day/ 5 days a week (there are other options). It was terriffic! I have had friends who were less than pleased with the very much larger Instituto which is on a noisy major road and much more institutional.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 63
2. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I've attended Becari twice and have been very pleased. I'm 60. We liked the flexibility, personalities of the owners Martha and Sandra, and enjoyed the experience, learning a lot from the two teachers we had, first half one for grammar, and second half another for conversation. In terms of the Instituto Cultural de Oaxaca, I understand its curriculum is more rigid, but the grounds are wonderful and management / ownership, similar to Becari, are good people - Carlos and his mother Lucero. They have a lot of cultural programs, but I suppose you can get that on your own touring villages, seeing sights. Both are members of the Oaxaca Spanish Language School Association, so perhaps also check other members of the association. Friends as well as guests at our B & B have provided us with positive feedback about both of the above as well, as well as about Amigos del Sol in San Felipe (I think that's the one with a branch in San Felipe). A guest walked from the house to the San Felipe school and was pleased with the experience.

But best to rely on comments from people who have actually attended, rather than hearsay, unless of course the hearsay is extremely one sided and revealing in the negative, in which case investigate further.

In terms of warnings, Oaxaca is very small so I would prefer not giving my opinion in that regard in an open forum. Others can warn you if they have been and had negative experiences, or have heard. But there are other commentaries around, negative, if you just check further using tripadvisor and the right keywords for the names of schools. I cannot recall any specifics, only that I've seen some negative commentaries over the years.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 11:00 am, August 16, 2011
new hampshire
3. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

Last year I wrote an article about "finding the right language school in Oaxaca." It's on my blog at: …wordpress.com/2010/…

For me, the answer was Ollin Tlahtoalli.

Traverse City...
reviews: 69
4. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I will strongly recommend Oaxaca International to you. I think it will suit your needs perfectly. The classes are very small, which allows for much more individual attention. Ileana and Augusto are extremely knowledgeable, gracious, and helpful - about the language, the culture, and the city. They can also arrange a home stay for you, as they did for me and several others with whom I attended. I would urge you to think about that too. Various field trips are taken during the course of a week, both within the city and to the outlying areas...and all included in the tuition, which is very reasonable.

I have attended 3 other schools in 3 other areas of Mexico...Oaxaca International was the best of them all, and I will go back again.

Oaxaca
5. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

All of the schools teach Spanish. Some also include a lot of other social interaction, guided tours, dance classes, and so forth.

Some people enjoy the one, other people enjoy the other.

Oaxaca, Mexico
6. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

If you are looking for personalized attention wich is the best way to learn a language i would recommend spanish magic school.

Other good option is instituto cultural oaxaca wich is a bigger school but it lacks of personalized attention and is more focused on the commercial aspect rather than learning.

www.aplacetostayoaxaca.com

New York
reviews: 6
7. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I studied briefly at Becari, too, with private lessons, and was very pleased with the way one of the owners quickly arranged this for me (the same day I walked in) and with the teacher she assigned me to. I've heard good things about all the schools mentioned here. You might want to wait till you arrive in Oaxaca, and take a day and check out the schools yourself. Most will let you sit in on a class at no charge, or let you pay for one class to try it out. You can learn a lot about the school just by talking to the director. Contrary to what their websites would lead you to believe, you don't need to register in advance. I've taken Spanish classes in 3 cities in Mexico (San Miguel, Oaxaca and San Cristobal de las Casas), and never have I ever registered in advance. The language school business is quite competitive in Mexico--and the schools seem most willing to accommodate students who just show up. Mexico is one of the best places to study Spanish.

Traverse City...
reviews: 69
8. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I forgot to ad the suggestion that you check out the website "123teachme.com" There you will find evaluations and reviews of ex-students for several of the schools in Oaxaca. There are many choices in this special city, and several great schools - but on the "123" site that I mention, there is only one that earns a 5-star rating - Oaxaca International....

Kutztown, PA
reviews: 35
9. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I like Amigos del Sol. I am near 60, my wife and adult children have all studied here on 3 occasions. It is a bit out of town, but the director drives you there from Parque de Llano.

I wrote about it on Tripadvisor here:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150801-d1986174/Oaxaca:Mexico:Instituto.Amigos.Del.Sol.html

USA
reviews: 12
10. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

We took lessons at Becari this summer and we were really pleased. Sandra was very accommodating to our specific needs and arranged to have teachers that could work with us. I wanted mostly conversation while my daughter wanted grammer and the teachers were very well versed in both. We especially enjoyed Rosa Elena as she was very experienced and also met our needs exactly.

I would agree that it is best to sit in on a class at each language school before you take it and see what suits you. Becari does not charge a registration fee if you sign up in Oaxaca. You might also want to consider distance to schools if you are walking from where you are staying.

Reply to: Oaxaca Language schools
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted