We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

I have 7 nights to spend in Mexico City and Puebla before heading to Oaxaca and am not sure how to divide my time. I love exploring cities and the more I read about Mexico City the more time I think I should spend there.

I was thinking of 5 nights in Mexico City and 2 in Puebla but am thinking that maybe I should skip Puebla. I love exploring neighborhoods, visiting markets and museums, hanging out in cafes, going on walking tours, and exploring historical sites.

Any suggestions on how to divide my time? Should I just do a day trip to Puebla?

Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 67
1. Re: how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

Why not decide on your 5th day in Mexico City?

Minnesota
reviews: 508
2. Re: how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

The previous post was good advice. Puebla is a great city but if you just want to check out the centro historico's main sites then two days will be enough. If you have not been to Mexico City before then you need pretty much a full week just to see the highlights. If you are really into museums or art then you might need more. I guess it all depends on just what you want to see.

Use Trip Advisor recommendations and read through a good guide book on DF and try to figure out what you must see in Mexico City. Personally we love Puebla and we needed several days there that included day trips to Tlaxcala and Cholula.

Enjoy it all including Oaxaca.

BC
reviews: 122
3. Re: how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

June, I am headed to Mexico City tomorrow. We have 7 days there and I kinda panic because I think there is so much to see and do, how will I get it all done! I know, just prioritize and have a good time, but until I am on the ground...I have been there three times previously. I was going to visit Puebla, but decided to save it for another visit.

You could either stop in Puebla on your way to Oaxaca; or I was considering taking a bus directly from the Mexico City airport right to Puebla at the start of my trip. Frequent departures.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 14
4. Re: how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

Personally, I would spend six nights in Mexico City and one night in Puebla on the way to Oaxaca. The bus ride to Puebla is only two hours and you can see most of the Centro Historico in an afternoon and evening. The next morning I would take a local bus to Cholula--about 25 minutes and visit there before boarding a four hour bus to Oaxaca.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
reviews: 97
5. Re: how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

I agree with #4, although whether you bother with Cholula the next morning would be up to you. After Teotihuacan (and before MOnte Alban near Oaxaca) you might think it not worth the journey and prefer to head straight to Oaxaca in the morning.

Minnesota
reviews: 508
6. Re: how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

After some consideration I have some other thoughts. First, the first time we spent meaningful time in Mexico City we were there for eight days. Although we saw most everything we really wanted to see we did not see it all. We still missed Xochimilco, the university, and some art museums. We also thought about Tula and did not get there. But in a week you can see most of what you really need to see. You simply have to make some choices and if you are there for less than a week then more choices are necessary.

We still think Puebla is our favorite city in Mexico. Going there on a day trip does not give you much time there. Yes, it's only about a two hour bus ride but you need to get from where you are staying to the bus station and once you are in Puebla you will spend more time getting to the center of of town. I still think that two days are needed to see Puebla. Londinense is correct that if you make it to Teotihuacan and Monte Alban outside of Oaxaca that Cholula could be skipped. It is supposed to be the largest of all the pyramids in Mexico, you can climb to the top and inside of it, but you can see for yourself that it is less of a site than the others. There is only the pyramid which now looks more like a small hill than a pyramid. But Cholula is a nice enough small town on its own too.

Puebla makes a good stop on the way to Oaxaca from DF. Going from Mexico City to Oaxaca takes several hours if you don't want to spend lots of daylight sitting on a bus.

What about after Oaxaca? Are you returning to Mexico City or going elsewhere? If you return to Mexico City for a flight elsewhere you could stop in Puebla or spend a bit more time in Mexico City but that might meaning changing a flight which is spendy these days.

I still suggest that you read up on DF, Puebla, and Oaxaca and use those references to help you decide how much time to spend at each place.

Buena suerte!

7. Re: how to divide trip between Mexico City and Puebla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 30, 2015