We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

I've read all the recommendations on the Teotihuacan tours and they don't look great. I don't like shopping and I don't want to be shuttled into a gift store, HOWEVER I'm a solo traveller and I don't speak Spanish and I can't afford $150 for a private guide.

Given my situation I am going to be stuck taking a tourist tour. Can anyone recommend any, Wayak, grayline, viator, etc??

Whittier, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

Many travelers have posted their visit to Teotihuacan on their own without any inconvenience. Here is one example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150800-i164-k4111…

I hope this is a good idea.

2. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

I've read many a recommendation, but l won't take the bus on my own with such poor Spanish.

Washington, DC
reviews: 11
3. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

Usually, people end up taking whatever tour is sold at the front desk of their hotel. Nearly 100% of hotels sell these tours.

The other possibility is taking the Pyramids tour offered by Turibus. turibus.com.mx/images/…CPiramides09Mar11.jpg I don't know anyone who has taken this, but it's still advertised online. The possible advantage here is that Turibus is a fairly reliable "brand" when it comes to touring around Mexico City, so maybe it's a better bet than going with whatever random company your hotel has a contract with. I do see that the Turibus tour uselessly stops in a handicrafts store though.

New York City, New...
reviews: 133
4. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

It is very easy to see Teotihuacan on your own (as I did). There are English guidebooks sold at the shops there and all of the signs on the major sites have English text. The bus is very easy. The bus employees all seem to speak some English. I think any tour is going to give you a tour of shops along the way.

Table View, South...
reviews: 64
5. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

i did the trip using Viator, the local company was Olympus Tours. The trip included the Basilica of Guadelupe, yes there is shops as well, and just before the ruins we stopped at a co-op where they show you some interesting products made from the agave plant. You also get to taste some of it, had lunch there as it was included in the price.

They pick you up at your hotel and the guide speaks reasonable English.

Valley of Heart's...
6. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

Hi Larry917,

We have a long layover of about 10 hours in Mexico City on June 12th and would like very much to visit the Piramidi di Teotihuacan on our own. Can you pls kindly show us how we can get transportation from Mexico City International Airport to the Piramidi and back to the airport since you said you visited the Piramidi on your own? How long will we need to visit the Piramidi inc. travel time? Can we buy tickets there with credit card so we don't have to exchange for Pesos? Any help you could give us is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. Thank U in advance.

7. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:56 pm, June 04, 2012
Liverpool
reviews: 8
8. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

You get the metro to terminal del norte follow the people leaving the metro station ( everyone will be going to the bus station) when you enter the bus station turn left and the kiosk at the very end on the left sells tickets to teotihuacan. There is a picture of a pyramid. Even if you dont speak spanish just say the word teotihuacan someone will help you. I have been loads of times and there is always another tourist buying tickets, Busses leave every 20 minutes

9. Re: Teotihuacan - the best tour if a bad bunch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, December 18, 2013