We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Mexico City next week

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis
Going to Mexico City next week

My husband and I are going to Mexico City next week for my brother's wedding. We've never been and are staying at a hotel in the southern part of the city (near the bride's family). We'd like to venture out on our own one night or day. Is a taxi through the hotel safe and since we don't speak Spanish, will we be ok on our own? We've been told by my brother and his fiancee that it's not smart for us to leave the hotel without them.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 15
1. Re: Going to Mexico City next week

Taxi's attached to a hotel cab stand, or called from a secure "sitio" (form of cab stand) are considered by most people in Mexico City as safe transportation, from what I know of the situation. Don't expect to find a driver who can communicate in English, though.

I suggest that you take a trip on the Turibus - a double-decker tour bus that takes you through the central part of the city, stopping at 20+ different locations. For a price of about US$10 each, you can ride for 24-hours, getting on and off whenever/wherever (scheduled stops) you like. This type of tour/ride will give you a wonderful opportunity, in safe surroundings (bus) to see many interesting things. The weather should be nice enough for you to ride on top (good photo opportunities).

Here's the web address for the Turibus website for Mexico City that gives a lot of information:

http://64.78.37.75/turibus/recorrido_turistico_df.html

It would be a missed opportunity if you didn't see something of the center of the city before returning home. Yes, there are some security concerns, but traveling as two persons lessens them and using common sense and being aware of your surroundings and the people around you should minimize any problems.

Enjoy the visit!