We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Taxi

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guanajuato hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 25
Airport Taxi

I understand the taxi from the airport to "downtown"/hotel area of Guanajuato will cost approx. $30. Is there any difference price-wise between getting an "official" ($$$) taxi driver from inside the airport and walking out to the street and hailing a cab? Also, are the taxi drivers looking for $US or are is the $30 just the exchange rate?

New York, NY
reviews: 16
1. Re: Airport Taxi

I think most if not all drivers will want pesos rather than US dollars and I'd get an official taxi. The price is about right though, just get some pesos from an ATM machine in airport so you have Mexican money from the start. ATM's tend to give best exchange rates from what I hear. And yes, it comes to approx 30 dollars or did a year ago.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
2. Re: Airport Taxi

There is no street to walk out to catch a taxi. The airport for Guanajuato is near Leon, but out in the country on the main highway. Only the licensed airport taxis are allowed to pick up at the airport. In my experience, you need pesos for taxis and other transactions in central Mexico. Use an ATM to get money, and you will get the official wholesale exchange rate, whereas taxis drivers, stores, etc. usually shortchage you at the 10/1 ratio if you use $US. Once you get to GTO, taxis are pretty cheap to get around.

San Miguel de...
reviews: 49
3. Re: Airport Taxi

I would use the ATM, but the airport cambio's exchange rates are very close.

The taxi desk just beyond customs takes US $$, but if it's $30. US vs. $300. pesos, get pesos first.

M

Texas
reviews: 6
4. Re: Airport Taxi

We were just there in Sept and the Leon is a "fur piece" (Texan) from Guanajuato. I envy you in going!!! I want to go back sooooo much. We loved Guana more so than all 5 places we stayed in Mexico.

I don't know about the Taxi getting there because we took executive buses from Town and Town after flying into Guadalajara and staying in Ajijic the first night. Our bus came through Leon on our way to Guanajuato so we took the same route you will take.

Where are you staying? I hope it is in the Historic Centro area.

Good Luck

5. Re: Airport Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 21, 2009