We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guanajuato hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

We are interested in renting a house or apartment from Dec. 23rd to Dec. 30th. We are hoping to spend about $350 for the week maximum. Any suggestions of where to look for something like this?

Thanks!

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
reviews: 9
1. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

Hi DIbarra,

La Casa de Doña Ana has a couple of houses and three small apartments that rent by the week. I can't recall the prices offhand, but they may be more than you want to spend.

You could also check with El Zopilote Mojado, another B&B here in Guanajuato, that also has apartments that rent by the day or week.

There are a number of web sites with vacation rentals for Guanajuato (type "Guanajuato rentals" into a search engine). Read carefully, though, because many listings are for San Miguel de Allende and not for Guanajuato (the city).

Good luck and have a great time here in Guanajuato!

Cindi

Cancun, Mexico
reviews: 10
2. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

I've been in Guanajuato for a little over 3 months on an extended vacation. The first month that we were here we rented the "Casita de Cata". vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/48505.h…

The Casita de Cata is a recently renovated two bedroom, two bathroom house located on a callejon about a 20 minute walk to the center of town (area near the Jardin). The description and photos on the web site accurately describe the property. There are no photos of the kitchen, which was my favorite room in the house - nicely decorated, big wooden table, nice views.

We had a nice time in the Casita and I have no hesitation in recommending this rental to others. The owner, who is Canadian, was friendly and responsive throughout the process.

The only things it was lacking that we would have liked with a one-month rental, but this wasn't a major concern of ours, were a microwave and a television. And the only possible negative is it's location on a callejon with a lot of stairs. If someone has any physical problems with climbing stairs or is not in very good health, this may be a problem.

At $300 USD/week it fits your budget and is a unique opportunity to experience callejon living in Guanajuato.

For the past 2 1/2 months since we left the Casita we have rented rooms with kitchenettes in two different hotels, slightly cheaper than the Casita but smaller and less nicely decorated. Let me know if you're interested in hotels that are like studio apartments and I'll post more info.

Have a great trip!

Montreal, Quebec...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

casa de pita....there is a website....has several apartments...they are small but inexpensive and the owner, pita, is great....guanajuato is cold at xmas, esp. at night, so make sure you take warm clothes......

Moss
reviews: 1
4. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

Hi! We are planning to rent the Casita - we are travelling with a baby (8 months old). What would you say about the area surrounding the casita. Is it a bit dodgy or ok??

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
5. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

Hi iamjorgensen,

I looked at the web site for the Casita, but don't know exactly where it is located other than in the center of town. I see that another poster said it was on a callejon and there were lots of stairs.

Downtown, while in the middle of the action, is very noisy. If noise bothers you at night, you might want to bring earplugs.

If you know the address of the Casita, perhaps I can tell you a bit more about the area.

If you have more questions about Guanajuato, please feel free to ask.

Have a great time!

Cindi

Moss
reviews: 1
6. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

Hi!

As I understand it it should be close to the old train station (well - I got the impression you know the place quite well sp there you go :) It should be close to the road Callejon De La Concha. Does that help you?

Thanks!

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
7. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

Hi iamjorgensen,

I don't know much about this area of town, unfortunately. I advise you to take the same precautions you would in any unfamiliar city...don't flash cash or expensive jewelry or electronics, don't walk down dark and deserted alleys late at night, don't get so drunk that you aren't aware of your surroundings, and so forth.

It's quite a walk from the casita to the center of downtown (the Jardín de la Unión). A previous poster who stayed at the casita says it's a 20-minute walk from the casita to downtown. Depending on how fast you walk and how crowded the sidewalks are (and they are usually quite crowded), it may take you longer than 20 minutes, especially if you are carrying the baby.

We're seeing more people using strollers around town, but many of the sidewalks are quite narrow and not all are smooth. Also, there are lots of stairs, especially in the callejones, so you'll still have to carry your 8-month-old some even if you use a stroller.

There are lots of small hole-in-the-wall type restaurants, but you won't find fine dining establishments close to the casita. The closest "better" restaurants are in Plazuela San Fernando, which is past Mercado Hidalgo on your way downtown. Of course, there are lots of great restaurants downtown around the Jardín de la Unión and Plaza de la Paz.

Not too far from the casita is a nice park called Jardín El Cantador (the map on the casita's web site calls it Parque Porfirio Diaz). It's a nice place to walk or just sit.

Have a great time!

Cindi

Toronto
reviews: 11
8. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

Hi, could you compare the apartments at Mision del Sol (Privada de Plateros # 7) to Casita de Cata .... to another one we're thinking of (that hasn't been rated on tripadvisor) but it is Listing 255378 on vrbo.com (Casa Encantado) and is near Calle Pocitos, where both the Diego Rivera Museum and Alhondiga are.

we are mainly interested in the location and being within walking distance of major sites in the historic area.

what do you think?

thank you very much!

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
9. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

Hi jwright80,

I have not seen any of the three casitas, so can't advise you on what they are like. Perhaps others who have stayed in them can give you that information. From the photos, they all look nice.

I can tell you about the locations. The ones at Mision del Sol are just off the Panoramic highway that goes around (actually above) the center of town. They are close to the bus route. Walking downtown wouldn't be much of a problem because it's all downhill. However, the walk back up is very steep. Buses cost $4 pesos per person and cabs within the downtown area are about $25 pesos.

Callejones may or may not be in good repair and may have little to no lighting, so be careful when walking especially after dark. You may want to carry a flashlight if you plan on navigating them at night.

The place off Pocitos looks like it's located on a callejon above Pocitos, so there would be a climb and maybe some steps. This casita/apartment is the closest of the three choices to downtown. You'd be right in the middle of things, so it may be noisy.

See my previous post about the Casita de Cata.

When are you planning to be in Guanajuato?

If you have other questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a great time!

Cindi

Arendal, Norway
10. Re: Guanajuato Xmas 2009 1 Week Rental Apartment or House

Try this link as well...

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g150799-Revi…

Saludos y Bienvenidos a Guanajuato,

Ponce