We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about visiting the Maya ruins

Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 2
Questions about visiting the Maya ruins

Plan to go to Mexico soon. I am wondering what people can see when they visit the Maya ruins. It is just sculpture,ancient texts, Dark/grey pyramide ? or it is like a museum inside, Is there somebody who will guide you through and explains the history. A friend of mine from Mexico told me that it differs from one to another, anyone can recommend the ruins I should avoid, and some I should visit?

Thanks a lot!

Emily

3 replies to this topic
Guaymas, Mexico
reviews: 16
1. Re: Questions about visiting the Maya ruins

First thing: where are you going to be? Guadalajara? Yucatan? Mexico City? For how long? Your friend was right, the pyramids can very greatly but which ones you go to depends on where you are going to be. México is a huge country. There is no point in recommending pyramids near Mérida if you are going to be in Guadalajara which is not known for a lot of pyramids.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 5
2. Re: Questions about visiting the Maya ruins

We have just spent a month travelling through Mexico looking at ruins. My favourite by far was Palenque. You can pay for guides but we didnt at every one. Palenque has very informative signs throughout.Tulum was small and you cant climb but is in an awesome setting. Teotihuacan next to Mexico city were impressive pyramids that you can climb. Chichen Itza was impressive when we saw it at the beginning of our trip but looking back it was my least favourite.

Chicago IL
reviews: 40
3. Re: Questions about visiting the Maya ruins

I agree that Chichen-Itza was the least favorite for us too. We have seen Ek Balam, Tulum, Uxmal, Sayil, Labna, Xcambo, Chichen-Itaza and Copan in Honduras. Far and away the most impressive for us, and also the best restored in our opinion, was Uxmal. The whole area near Uxmal was a favorite. Santa Elena is a wonderful small traditional town with two great places to stay - The Pickled Onion and The Fly Catcher Inn. Both owners are veritable founts of information. Both truly love the Yucatan and its people and traditions. Every ruin is special. I encourage you to do some reading and research before you go. It will make what you see more impressive and ensure you get the most out of even a single site and short trip.

Reply to: Questions about visiting the Maya ruins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted