We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Guadalajara hotel for stopover from Guanajuato to PVR?

Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, California
reviews: 1
Good Guadalajara hotel for stopover from Guanajuato to PVR?

Hi, we are a family of 5 who will be driving from Guanajuato to Puerto Vallarta for the holidays. Given that it's a long drive and we have small kids, we're thinking we'll stop for a night in GDL on the way there and for a couple nights (with time to sightsee) on the way back.

Does anyone have any advice for a good hotel for the first stopover? I'm thinking it would be ideal to avoid GDL traffic, so are there any good options outside of the city that would be on our route? Or suggestions of areas/suburbs/towns to look in, as I don't know the area.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies to this topic
Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 51
1. Re: Good Guadalajara hotel for stopover from Guanajuato to PVR?

This might be your hotel. It's located outside on the edge of the greater metropolitan area and on the way to Puerto Vallarta. I've not stayed there but it gets good reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1006488-d17841…

http://www.booking.com/hotel/mx/intercity-100.en-us.html?sid=47f0ebcb14899a9c70ea9d7b14d966da;dcid=1

Guadalajara
2. Re: Good Guadalajara hotel for stopover from Guanajuato to PVR?

Hansblix's hotel suggestion would put you on the northwest edge of the city, near the highway you will use in getting to Puerto Vallarta. It is about two miles from the Plaza Galerias Mall / Walmart / Costco / Sam's / Mega supermarket / etc area. You stated that you were driving your car, but for future reference, the hotel is about a half-mile from the Zapopan bus terminal, where you could catch a luxury bus to Puerto Vallarta.

I have never stayed at the "Intercity 100" hotel, but I drive past it almost every day. It looks like a nice place. However, the "Hotel hi!", located in front of the "Intercity 100", is currently undergoing construction to double its size. I suppose that any construction would happen during the day; so, if there was some noise, it wouldn't matter too much.

Peak traffic hours are 8 – 10 AM, 2 – 4 PM and 6 – 8 PM. Traffic can get busy in some areas, but I think it is still better than many large cities in the U.S.

Instead of driving your own car around town during the day, you might consider taking a tour. Tapatio Tours, with four separate tour routes, goes to a lot of points of interest ( http://www.tapatiotour.com.mx/ -- prices listed in pesos, not dollars! ). I have no experience with this company, but I often see their double-decker buses passing around town.

Have fun!

Matt

Berkeley, California
3. Re: Good Guadalajara hotel for stopover from Guanajuato to PVR?

Thank you, Hansblix and ElCachorroPerdido. I really appreciate your suggestions and further information about the roads and traffic. It's great to have some context for this trip.

Thanks again!

Rebecca

Reply to: Good Guadalajara hotel for stopover from Guanajuato to PVR?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted