We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 52
Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

Greetings:

Looking for a short 4-5 night getaway from the States and am considering Guadalajara....heard good things about the city...how would it be for a single male from a cultural and nightlife standpoint?...plenty to do during the day as well as night....I enjoy taking in museums, walking into interesting neighborhoods during the day and having a nice cigar, good meal, and a cocktail or two while listening to music and admiring beautiful ladies (though, at age 50, not into discos)....would Guadalajara be a good choice for me or would I be better off going to Mexico City (though Mexico City is considerably more expensive)...looking at visiting from a Wednesday-Sunday over Halloween (Thurs.night).....also, I am considering the Intercontinental Presidente--good location???.....I do speak conversational Spanish.

Gracias por su ayuda.

9 replies to this topic
Florida
reviews: 46
1. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

I lived in both Mexico City and Guadalajara and found both to be inexpensive. In fact, in my experience, hotels in Mexico City are sometimes cheaper as is public transportation. I also think that there is a lot more to see and do in Mexico City as far as museums and culture are concerned. On the other hand, tapatios (those native to Guadalajara) are much friendlier in my experience. In fact, I married a tapatia in 2005!

I still think there is enough to see in Guadalajara culturally/historically for your trip, including the historic center, Tlaquepaque, and the area around the Basilica of Zapopan. As for interesting neighborhoods in Guadalajara, walk alongside Avenida Juarez, from Federalismo to Chapultepec, and you will see some lovely 19th century and early 20th century houses (some of these are now boutique shops). And if time permits it, also check out the church, El Expiatorio.

As for the Intercontinental Presidente, that's located across the street from Plaza del Sol, which has a number of restaurants, shops, and a couple of bars/clubs. It's not the best place in the city for nightlife activity, but not the worst either. It's a pretty safe neighborhood, but with a lot of traffic. The neighborhood behind the hotel is worth a walk in my opinion, especially along Avenida Tizoc--if you do take a stroll there, check out the Piramide del Sol. There's a good view there from the top. If you get lost in that neighborhood, just ask someone how to get to Plaza del Sol.

For other places with good bars and ambience in Guadalajara, check out the street Lopez Cotilla (near the intersection with Americas) or go to Avenida Chapultepec. Both of those will require a taxi (about 6-7 dollars from your hotel) or a bus, unless you have a car.

Edited: 2:18 pm, September 29, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
2. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

Hansblix:

Thanks...I am not set on the Presidente, other than it seems to be the nicest hotel from my limited research...I am open to other nice hotels in the other areas (especially a boutique hotel--if they exist) if you can recommend any....as for cost on par with Mexico City, I looked at Las Alcobas (boutique hotel) and it ran about $350/nt with taxes as compared to Presidente for $100/nt....curious how you found the 2 cities comparable from a cost standpoint....oither than that, I understand both cities have gorgeous ladies but I have been told by multiple sources that Guadalajara is reputed to be the capitol for that in Mexico--especially if you enjoy ladies with European features.

Gracias.

Florida
3. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

Las Alcobas is one of the most expensive hotels in all of Mexico City, so I don't think that's a fair comparison. There are lots of 4 or 5 star hotels in Mexico City for significantly less money, including some on or near the majestic Reforma Avenue (Sheraton Maria, Hotel Marquis Reforma, and the Roma Boutique). Personally, if I were going to stay in Mexico City, I would opt for lodging in Colonia Condesa, where there are a couple of boutique hotels that are decently priced (100 or less). And Condesa/Roma is a good area for dining and nightlife and a bit less touristy than Polanco (where Las Alcobas is located). You'll get more up to date info on the Mexico City page (it's been three years since my last visit to the capital). On the other hand, its a couple of miles from the historic center.

As for Guadalajara, if you're not dead set on the Intercontinental, there is Hotel Villa Ganz, a boutique hotel that gets excellent reviews. It's on Lopez Cotilla but is a bit more (about 180 a night). And it's in the center of a lot of nightlife. There are also a handful of other decent hotels in that area as well. I stayed at one not far from there (Posada del Marques) which was decent and cost about 75-80 a night. Within 10 minutes walking distance, I had all sorts of options for dining and clubbing.

Sorry, won't comment on the European features of women in Mexico. I find them all beautiful! But I often did hear that comment (mostly from men) while living in that country. Guadalajara has a smaller indigenous population vis-à-vis Mexico City, so that might have something to do with that perceived difference.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
4. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

Hansblix:

Thanks a lot for the insider information--exactly what I was looking for as opposed to sometime generic information that some TA contributors provide.

As mentioned, I was thinking of going over the Halloween/Dia de los Muertes weekend--seems like it might be a fun time to go unless you know otherwise...also, do you think 4 full days and 4 nights would be an adequate enough time to spend in GDL for a short getaway??..finally, if there are any 'must' do restaurants you can recommend I will take those as well.

Muchas gracias.

Florida
5. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

Personally, I think 4 full days is enough, though some have stayed longer and not run out of things to do. And being there during that important holiday is a good time to go, though many people also spend it with families at the local cemeteries. There are some good day trips that are worthwhile, including the Tequila Express tour (there are 2 companies that operate this). It's very touristy but still insightful about the history and production of this drink. Another interesting day trip IMO is to Guachimontones--especially if you like archeology and ancient history. Some also fancy a day trip to Lake Chapala, though I think this is only worthwhile if you've got your own car or are going to stay at the Lake for at least a couple of days.

There are so many good places to eat in Guadalajara, that I'll probably do a disservice to those I don't mention, but hopefully others will add to my short list. My favorites are Karne Garibaldi (it has several branches) as well as Casa Tomas (a Spanish Restaurant) and La Vaca Argentina (expensive, but excellent steak). On Lopez Cotilla, there a at least a half dozen good places to eat as well. If you fancy hot wings and beer, there are several branches of the now locally famous Wings Army, including one on Avenida Chapultepec. I've found these a good place to meet people. And personally, I think Guadalajara has the best tacos in Mexico, whether you buy them on the street or in a restaurant. The state of Jalisco has been a leader in the country's livestock industry since the colonial era, so undoubtedly that has something to do with the high quality of meat in general.

Los Angeles...
6. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

I went to Mexico City for 5 days in November 2011. I stayed at Hotel Presidente by Intercontinental (yes, they have one in Mexico City too). $100 a night is a steal for that place. I paid $250 a night! Still worth it, right behind the hotel is the Auditorio Nacional, a huge concert venue. You may even be able to catch a cool concert while you're in town, Guns and Roses was in town the week I was there unfortunately I found out the day I was leaving! lol. The benefit of the auditorium being right behind the hotel is that it serves as a central hub for public transportation; buses and tour buses (if you take a tour, I recommend el "Turibus" which takes you to all of the tourist sites and there are several buses that run all day so you can get off, spend a few hours there and just catch the next bus.) Public transportation buses are pretty modern, similar to LA Metro bus. I recommend taking the bus as often as you can instead of Taxi. The reason I say that is because although taxi's you can find on the street are inexpensive there is a possibility that you could get a crooked driver that will pick up on your accent and put you in an unfortunate situation. The safest taxi's to get are the "taxi de sitio" which is basically the taxi's that park at the hotels, they are so closely tied to the hotels that they would never risk losing their job to take $200 from your wallet. The catch with the "taxi de sitio" however, is that they cost as much as taxi's cost in LA or San Diego. $10 here, $15 there, $20 there, etc. So the way I played it was public bus during the day, go back to the hotel and shower, and then taxi's de sitio for the night. I recommend staying in Polanco, nice area, everything you need is walking distance but I will say that as far as food goes it is pretty pricey in comparison to other cities in Mexico. For example, I had lunch at this restaurant called "Primos Hermanos" and had the best milanesa I have ever had in my life. The Milanesa cost me $18, my appetizer cost me $12, and my beer cost me $7, with tip I ended up paying about $45. Not going to lie though, it was worth it; I went back the next day and got the milanesa with a coke--only $22 that time. Hope all of this info helps!

Florida
7. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

If you eat in Polanco, then Mexico City is more expensive. But most people that live there don't eat there. There are tons of eateries and restaurants in Mexico City where you can eat for a lot less than that, including the many restaurants in the Centro Historico. Same goes for Guadalajara. There are very expensive restaurants and others that offer meals for less than 6 US dollars. And as far as getting around in Mexico City, I would argue that the metro is often the best option (these don't get stuck in traffic).

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
reviews: 194
8. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

I find eating in Guadaljara to be 1/3 less than Mexico CIty and love to go to Natali (and you can go tothe same place at night when its is in reverse I-Latina , as a fun nightspot. You always spot some celebrity and it is a fun place to go - do reserve. Corazon del Alcochofa is also a great concept in Guadalajara. We had one on Masaryk in Mexico City but it closed and now there is one in Santa Fe, but it does not have the same charm as the original in Guadalara. Going to Chapala for a day is great fun and a nice place - take a lancha, eat at one of the local places just to your right as you are on the last street before the park and pier. Sunday is more fun as a lot of people in that area work at least a half day on Saturday. Tortas Toño are in several locations in Guadalajara and best for Tortas Ahogadas which are eaten at 10 am or 11 am - sort of like brunch in USA. I love them.

Guadalajara, Mexico
reviews: 11
9. Re: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween

I am just going to stick to the restaurants/pretty ladies part. Regarding to restaurants I latina or Anita Li (they are next to each other) , Corazón de Alcachofa, la Docena, are the trendiest restaurants in GDL for a solo dinner with drinks expect to pay no less than $40 USD which is considerably cheaper thatn upscale restaurants in the USA.

Unlike Mexico City, where beautiful women are mostly limited to upscale neighborhoods and exclusive boutiques, in GDL you can find them all over town but if you stick to the forementioned restaurants I guarantee you will be able to appreciate gorgeous ladies.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need any aditional information.

Best regards

Reply to: Questions for Solo/Single Male Traveling Over Halloween
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted