We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighbourhood

Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 11
Neighbourhood

Hi

My husband and I will stay two days - three nights in Guadalajara and I´m wondering were to stay, If I choose a hotel at "Centro Historico" will there be places to drink and eat at night at walking - safe - distance ?? Is it a wise choice ?

Thanks

Katia

4 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
1. Re: Neighbourhood

I haven't been there yet, but my research indicates Centro is a good place to stay. That, and Tlaquepaque. (I'll have to decide before I go.)

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
reviews: 79
2. Re: Neighbourhood

Centro is a great area to stay. There are plenty of hotel choices. Also plenty of places to eat.

Florida
reviews: 46
3. Re: Neighbourhood

I've stayed in the Centro a few times in the last 15 years and had no problems. In the daytime especially, I feel totally safe there. However, recently, at night, the Centro has become a bit dodgy, especially after 9PM. When I was there in August, there were two incidents, both muggings, to people that I know. One took place in the parking lot underneath the Cathedral, and the other on a street a couple of blocks northwest of the cathedral. Again, both of these happened at night. It didn't deter me from going there, but I was a bit more cautious. (In doesn't feel any more unsafe than Copacabana did when I was last there in 2009.) There are a few good bars and eating establishments in the Centro, and of course, it's the most interesting area historically in Guadalajara. If you do stay in the Centro, check out the bar La Fuente. It's a classic--a watering hole for Guadalajara's intellectuals and artists.

At night, the best area of town for eating and drinking in my opinion is on the street Lopez Cotilla, particularly the blocks adjacent to Avenida de las Americas. That's a happening place and a bit safer than downtown. Chapultepec Avenue (not far from the Lopez Cotilla/Americas zone) also has a number of good food and drinking options. Neither one is that far from the Centro (about a 20-30 minute walk or a 30 peso cab ride).

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 48
4. Re: Neighbourhood

I have stayed in this area 3 times with my wife. We stay at the Hotel Morales. We are 60+ and have no problem walking at night. There are many places to eat in the area.

Reply to: Neighbourhood
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted