We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico city
reviews: 20
Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

I keep reserving with Hertz because of rates - but there has always been issues with the condition of the vehicles and getting the reserved class with correct transmission. Management is quite sleazy and rude.

I rented a vehicle with them recently, and after I was ready to drive out the lot, I noticed it was standard. The attendants claimed they didn't have another car...but wait they were cleaning an automatic car, never mind it had mechanical problems. The car would not start. It took the attendant a good five minutes to turn on the car and they expected me to take the car.

The manager said take it or leave it. Well, I left it... and ended up with AVIS. Yes, paid just a little more, but got a brand new car in a higher class. I would recommend Avis.

If you are planning to travel outside of the city, please make sure the tires are in good condition. The last car two tires that even the "security warning" was worn through.

12 replies to this topic
Denver
reviews: 3
1. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Sounds like some of the hassle I experienced with Alamo in Oaxaca. Total sleaze. Never rent from Alamo in Oaxaca. As to your bad experience with Hertz and good experience with Avis, were these airport or downtown locations? I think it matters because Hertz's US site lists the Guadalajara locations as "independent licensee" but there's no way to tell if all locations are the same management. Same might go for Avis.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 209
2. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

One of the "escape clauses" for these international car rental companies is that these are franchises and are not held to the same standards as company stores in the US or Canada. I am sure that you have all heard of the "drug cartels", well the "rental car cartel" may be even stronger and more ruthless?

Pocatello, Idaho
3. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

I travel to Guadalajara often and always use Thrifty. They have good cars and are fast getting me in and out. The only issue I have is the price that shows up on my credit card bill is always higher than what they quote me at the counter. I have talked to Thrifty here in the US and they say it has to do with the conversion rate. I would try another company but I know what I'm getting with Thrifty. Any suggestions?

Albuquerque, New...
4. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

As of late, wehave been using Alamo at the Guadalajara airport.. While I do not care for any of the agency insurance policies - it is what it is. In fact, I just made a two week reservation yesterday. Because insurance is such an issue in Mexico, I take Alamo's Protection Plus plan that has zero deductible across the board. We will be putting about 3000 miles on the vehicle and want to have excellent coverage behind us. I usually call the agency a couple of days prior to arrival to make sure that they are holding a vehicle that is in good mechanical shape and has excellent tires and make sure they understand that we will accept nothing less. The resident manager now knows my expectations and knows that I will inspect the vehicle and take photos of any scratches/dents on any part of the body. In one instance, I didn't care for the condition of a reserved vehicle and they upgraded without charge. There is always some head scratching with my reserved rate but they have always tweaked their computers to match the rate exactly.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 7
5. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

jdbrian - yes, you are probably getting scammed by exchange rates. Thrifty quote you in USD but in the contract you sign it states that they will bill you in pesos at their own exchange rate of 15 pesos to the dollar whereas the true rate is, say, 12. So if they quote you 50 USD a day they bill you 15 x 50 pesos a day = 750 pesos. You pay by card and then your bank converts at 12 so they take from you 750/12 USD = 62.5 USD!

Albuquerque, New...
6. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

SteveMex:

Strictly based on my experience with Alamo, one can stand their ground with deposits and exchange rates. Our latest experience was in Feb and the manager did everything in his power to hit the exact amount of our quoted rate. Upon arrival home, I checked the posted amount on our AMEX statement and it was within $1. Then again, I had checked the exchange rate that morning before turning in the vehicle and used that rate during our discussions. Keep in mind that as the cardholder, you do have the option of protesting a charge and that is the last thing they want.

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Out of these agency mentioned, which are at the Terminal and which require shuttle services? How accessible are the locations off-site? Thanks.

I rented with AVIS in Mexico DF back in March 2013 and it was a great experience. No hassle on the insurance requirements, not forced into anything. I would use them but their prices are over the top at this location (GDL). Other suggested agencies with no hassle insurance coverages?

Albuquerque, New...
8. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

With the setup at GDL, most rental car agencies (while on airport property) do require a quick shuttle ride to their locations. There are a couple of agencies located in the Hotel Casa Grandes (a quick walk from the terminal) but not major ones. Most of the majors have an airport booth but they are strictly to make contact with.

Los Angeles...
9. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Which agency would you recommend at this location? I have National as my top choice. On top of the price, I'm expecting a forcefully liability insurance on top of the price.. I've rented vehicles at other locations without the required insurance but with a higher deposit.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 7
10. Re: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

chinagringo - I agree but the terms in Thrifty's contract are specific as I went through the same issue earlier this year. I now recommend either getting a pesos quote or agreeing to pay in dollars in cash. That way there are no ridiculous exchange costs.

Reply to: Beware - Hertz Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted