We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Guanajuato and am hoping to make a Saturday day trip to Guadalajara to see a Chivas game at Estadio Omnilife for the first time. In looking over bus websites like ETN it seems as if the only direct bus route is from GTO to the Tlaquepaque station (Nueva)...even though Zapopan is a much closer station to Omnilife. Is my only option from GTO going to the Nueva station and taking a cab to Omnilife or is it possible to get a bus ticket from GTO to Zapopan and then take a much shorter cab ride to the stadium?

Also, I watched last nights match between Chivas and Atlante and the attendance was pretty horrible. Are the clasicos with America and Atlas the only matches that generate a good crowd and atmosphere or are there some other good traditional rivals that attract better crowds if I'm not able to be there in April for America or Atlas?

Thanks for any tips or feedback...during a lengthy stay in Mexico in 2006 I became a Chivista due to some obsessed Mexican friends in Q. Roo. Can't wait to see them in person for the first time...even if they can't score!:))

Guadalajara, Mexico
reviews: 2
1. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

America vs Chivas, or Atlas vs Chivas generate a good crowd and atmosphere.

PRIMERA PLUS or ETN are direct bus route from GTO to the Tlaquepaque station (Nueva).

Non of this routes from Guanajuato goes to Zapopan Station, you must take a cab or a buss all the way to Omnilife Chivas House. Sersol

BC
reviews: 121
2. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

Hi Ocixem,

I will also be visiting Guanajuato and Guadalajara and hope to see Chivas play.

I have had a hard time trying to find their schedule, but think I understand now [I saw several conflicting items].

From what you know, am I getting this right: there will be a home game on March 24th (Saturday), starting at 8 pm? versus Toluca That info is from ESPN, which also says they play at Jalisco Stadium, so I'm not sure their info is correct???

Also, given what you say, it shouldn't be too hard to get tickets on game day??--I do know that you need to do this early on game day. I am also a bit boggled by the seating charts and have no idea what they mean! Huge range of prices.

Guadalajara, Mexico
3. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

This site might be helpful.

ticketbis.com.mx/boletos-chivas-toluca-2012/…

Sersol

Guadalajara, Mexico
4. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

ticketbis.com.mx/boletos-chivas-toluca-2012-…

Areas and prices.

BC
5. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

Thank you sersol, that is very helpful.

USA
6. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

Pumpermum:

Here's the schedule from the official Chivas site:

www.chivascampeon.com/torneos/calendario.php

It looks like they play Toluca at Omnilife on March 24th, but I believe all home games are at 7 and not 8. I've never been to the stadium, but I've watched enough games to comfortably say that attendance is very poor overall from what you would expect from say American football. I'm no expert, but I would say there's absolutely no reason to get tickets online in advance or even get there extremely early as tickets will be readily available at the door for matches that aren't against big rivals like America or Atlas.

Another question for the GDL experts: are there lockers at the Nueva Central Camionera to safely store backpacks while at Estadio Omnilife since they apparently don't allow them in the stadium? Any idea what the cost is for that? Is it simply a coin operated locker where you just insert pesos and take the key with you...just curious how secure it is? Thanks for any feedback.

BC
7. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

Thanks Oxicem.

I've just met a 15 year old teen who is here for one year on her own studying at my daughter's high school. She is from Guadalajara and says the games are great, she likes to go often. Her face lit up when I mentioned it.

It does say on their website that ticket sales close at 5 pm. at the stadium. Just a heads up. We may go earlier in the day, and then tour somewhere around Zappopan, if we haven't bought tickets in advance.

If you try posting your question about lockers in a separate thread maybe you'll get a response.

USA
8. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

Pumper,

I could be wrong, but if I'm reading that correctly, their website says that the 7 or so outside areas that sell Chivas tickets around town are open from 10-5 on Wednesdays-Friday and on the day of the games you can purchase tickets at Estadio Omnilife starting at 10 and I would assume that extends up through game time. I can't imagine that there would be a pro franchise in all of the world that would close stadium ticket sales 2 hours before any game considering walk-up sales are such a big part of business. I could be off on that, though.

It looks like they have a really nice Chivas Museum inside the stadium for an extra fee if you plan on getting there really early and are looking to kill some time w/o leaving the area.

BC
9. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

Hi, thanks for the mention of the Museum, could be interesting.

Okay, once my husband gets involved in planning this trip, he will probably understand more about ticketing and such. He grew up in the UK, so is a futbol fanatic, LOL. [he is away now on another trip] When taking my kids to games in the UK I learned the rule about not being able to bring anything [much] into the stadium, the hard way.

btw, it says no professional cameras allowed. Do you think it would be a problem bringing our SLR digital camera? Only because we would have it with us for the day. Definitely not professional, more bottom end, but I don't know how a security guard would be able to tell that.

I did think it odd about closing ticket sales early, but I thought maybe it was a way to help with crowd control. But now I think I am misunderstanding and this applies to tickets that you have purchased on the internet and need to pick up:

It says this under the FAQ--for some reason it won't copy and paste--if you are not from Guadalajara, you can pick up your tickets at the Stadium until 2 hours before game time.

So I had first thought "recoger" meant the same as purchase, which of course it does not.

This is what I see today regarding the game tonight:

<< El día del partido únicamente venta en el Estadio Omnilife desde las 10 a.m. o terminar existencias<< so this seems like you could arrive at any time. This will make it a bit easier for us!

Thanks, and hope you get to enjoy a game soon!

BC
10. Re: Getting from GTO to Estadio Omnilife (Chivas)?

hi there Ocixem,

Just wanted to let you know that we saw Chivas play last Saturday night, now we are back at home in Canada.

We ended up buying our tickets a day ahead at one of the ticket outlets. Once we were in downtown Guadalajara we realized that there was one only about a 10 minute walk from our hotel. We bought the 150 peso seats on the west side of the stadium and were seated almost at the top.

Getting to the stadium from downtown (historic centre) was fun....we walked to the Juarez train station area and waited for the Pre-Tren bus, people were in an orderly queue. We had to walk and catch another free bus to get to the stadium form the end of the line, it was quite a long distance. The other option we saw at the same spot was the number 400 "Chivas Bus"--the fans were all decked out and piling onto that bus; they were coming out of the roof escape hatch before the bus even left the stop!

It takes almost an hour by bus to get to the stadium from downtown. There was quite long line ups to buy tickets, but there were about 8 windows open for sales.

After the game was over, there were virtually no buses to leave on. Quite ridiculous.....we waited 35 minutes in the very orderly line up for the 400 bus,which took about 50 minutes to get back to downtown. As there were no signs whatsoever, I just had to ask the person at the front of the line up which bus it was for. The stadium is geared towards people arriving in private vehicles.

Taxi from the Tlaquepaque central bus terminal to Omnilife would be either 275 or 300 pesos. It is a zone system and I tried to look at the map when purchasing my taxi chitty for downtown, which was 125 pesos. At the end of the game there were taxis near the bus line ups which were looking for business.

Hope this helps.