We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
reviews: 73
Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Rented a car here during the first week of December 2011.

Accepted full damage and liability coverage.

The manager walked out with us to mark any car damage on the rental form prior to leaving.

We asked for a copy of the damage report and he refused. We argued for about 15 minutes and then left and went next door to Europcar (which had it's own set of problems).

32 replies to this topic
Guadalajara, Mexico
reviews: 2
1. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Tanks for sharing¡

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 16
2. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Welcome to car rentals at the airports in Mexico. We've had similar experiences with numerous car rental places in Puerto Vallarta.

Fresno, California
3. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Ho was you experience with Europcar? I'm planning to run a car for the coming xmas. What about Dollar Car Rental?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
reviews: 79
4. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

We have had the experience of them marking all the damage then keeping the form. but we signed the form and they need to produce it when you leave. There were so many little X's on the form they never could have told if there was new damage.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 209
5. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

If you have a digital camera with both date and time stamp capability, it offers one of the best methods for documenting prior damage on rental cars anywhere.

In preparation for a 16 day trip back in August, I researched virtually every rental car operation at GDL. Insurance is a big scam with most all of the companies. TPL (third party liability) is mandatory and none of the credit card insurance features covers this aspect. Collision, theft, personal injury are another matter. We have the American Express Premium Rental Car Insurance for which we pay $24.95 for any rental up to 42 days. I was only able to find ONE company (Payless) who was willing to accept this policy without taking on huge deposits. We had no problems renting a car and driving a bit over 2600 miles over 16 days. They are not located with the regular group of car rental outfits but in the adjacent Hotel Casa Grandes.

San Diego...
6. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Use your camera phone to photograph any damages prior to taking the car then if any problems you have a record, who cares what's on the paper, a picture is worth a thousand words. record all 4 sides of the car.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
reviews: 79
7. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

You could also photo their document, as well as the car

Ciudad Juarez...
reviews: 26
8. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

If it is available, get the full coverage with Zero deductible. This way, whatever happens to the car, it is not your problem. If not go to someone that carries it. I have had experiences with Avis. They carry it and I recognize I did not take care of their car ( road hazzard ), and when I returned it I had no problems. They were shocked, but said nothing and charged me nothing.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 209
9. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

Keep in mind that if you are driving on a cuota (toll road) in Mexico, you are provided with insurance against such things as road hazards. You must have your toll receipt to make a claim.

Los Angeles...
10. Re: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location

I got scammed with insurances also, we tried to rent from Thrifty car rental at the Guadalajara airport. We decided not to rent from them as soon as they tried to charge us once again for the insurance we had already been charged for and the company refused to refund our money back. This was in December 2012.

Reply to: Beware - Thrifty Car Rental, Guadalajara Airport Location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted