We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See or Do in Guadalajara

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
Must See or Do in Guadalajara

For those who have been to Guadalajara , what are some of the sights and experiences that were highlights for you? I am going in December and would like to make good use of my time.

Guadalajara, Mexico
reviews: 2
1. Re: Must See or Do in Guadalajara

Myriad-7 Hello.

Tlaquepaque town is a must aone full day.

The Degollado Teather at night (concerts)or sundays morning. The Valet folklorico performance. Is a must.

The mercado libertad and Hospicio Cabanas.

Down town. Old historical palces and The Cathedral.

The Aranzazu chapell. Dont miss it.

Sunday ,Tequila Espress train, one day journay.

Alot of good gastronimic, from mexican traditional to contemporary, and all interantionals. Have funn,Sergio

Waukesha, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
2. Re: Must See or Do in Guadalajara

I second what sersol said. As a frequent visitor to Guadalajara (I have family that still lives here), I truly enjoy strolling thru downtown or taking a horse carriage. You will find that downtown is a walking paradise because of all of its plazas/squares that intertwine with each other. There are lots of exciting museums, theaters, restaurants, and outdoor cafes. One can literally spend a whole day or two in just downtown.

Tlaquepaque and Tonala are towns on the outscores of GDL. They offer tons of galleries and shopping galore. You can find very inexpensive jewelry and mexican artifacts made of glass, iron, and fresh paintings with beautiful wood carve frames, plus your local pottery.

These towns also offer great dining on their dozens of outdoor cafes. At night is when the streets are filled with hundreds if not thousands of people (on Sundays), walking the main squares.

Tequila is also a not miss town. If you book a tour, you will find yourself in a plantation digging and cutting a blue agave. Then, you will be lead to the distillery and view the process of how tequila is made, and lastly you will end at one of their Haciendas and have a taste of their tequilas. This tour is usually a bus tour, and like sersol mention there is also a train tour with a mariachi band playing thru out the train ride, and lots of tequila tasting on board, either one, do not miss the opportunity to visit Tequila.

There are lots of other activities you can do in GDL and outside of GDL, but it would really be a matter of choice. I love Los Altos de Jalisco which literally, it means the high or north of Jalisco. You will find some of the most beautiful towns in all of Jalisco heading towards Leon. You can visit the beautiful colonial towns like Tepatitlan, San Miguel el Alto, San Juan de los Lagos, and Lagos de Moreno. But if you want to stay real close to GDL then you can head south less than an hour and find the towns of Chapala, Ajijic, and Jocotepec which are located on the shores of the largest lake in Mexico, Lake Chapala. These are very picturesque towns with a large US and Canadian community who feel that they have found their retirement paradise on this part of Mexico.

You can also visit the Pacific coast, with a side trip to Puerto Vallarta, Costa Alegre, or Manzanillo which are great vacation resort towns.

What ever might be your pleasure definite do your research and google the places I mentioned. I know there are a few books and dvds about Guadalajara, I believe there is a book by Moon Handbooks, and Shari Belafonte did a travel dvd, video visits.

Good luck!

3. Re: Must See or Do in Guadalajara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:05 pm, August 21, 2009
Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 64
4. Re: Must See or Do in Guadalajara

I am interested in going there in Feb/Mar as part of my trip south.

I have no interest in tequila but love architecture and nature. In past years I have spent a week in each of Puebla, Merida, Morelia, La Paz and Oaxaca.

What would be an appropriate amount of time for GDL and surrounding area (by bus)?

5. Re: Must See or Do in Guadalajara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 22, 2009