We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 224
Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

We are traveling to Zihua/Ixtapa Jan 2-9, 2014. We have our flight but not our hotel booked. We are considering a split stay between Zihua and Ixtapa vs staying in Ixtapa all 7 nights. Is this recommended or just a hassle?? It would be fun to experience both towns in a trip. We are thinking of staying somewhere with a local flair like Casa Adriana for a few nights before heading to Ixtapa. Thoughts?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
reviews: 26
1. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

Well Casa Adriana is heaven in my book. That is where hubby & I stayed many years ago and fell in love with Zihua. For people who have not been to this area before, splitting is a common decision. That way you can experience both and decide where you would like to stay next time. Of course you can easily travel between the two by bus or taxi in just a few minutes, so you are never very far from anywhere you might like to go.

Ixtapa, Mexico
reviews: 14
2. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

With only 7 days, I suggest you stay in one place and visit the other commuting by bus or taxi. It is a 15 minute ride. If you like a more urban environment Zihua is it, with lots of shops, restaurants, bars. Ixtapa has a longer beach for walking, tall hotels, large manicured boulevard and in general better tourists infrastructures, golf courses, marina, cyclopista.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
3. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

While the beach is longer than La Ropa in Zihua, the surf in Ixtapa is much rougher since it is open ocean. In Zihua the beaches are more gentle because they are protected by the bay. Just another difference to consider.

Minnesota
reviews: 8
4. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

Yup!

Stay where you decide to stay, and taxi to the other.

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
5. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

Isn't it great to have such choices in close proximity?

Minnesota
6. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

U Bet It Is!!

If someone was staying for weeks and weeks, maybe they would want a move in there somewhere.

But the way I figure it, is on a 7-10 day stay, you are going to lose at least an entire day.

Packing

Checking out

Moving

Checking in

Unpacking

(shiver!!!!)

Keith

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 32
7. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

For just a one-week stay, I would have to agree with the others. Stay in one of them and visit the other. One week is just too short to bother with a move halfway through...just my opinion, of course!

Minneapolis...
reviews: 224
8. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

I am a "must see everything" type of tourist which is why I considered the split but am still considering. Thanks for the input, all :)

Minnesota
9. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

Gives you a reason to come back quickly and stay at the other!!!!

Keith

UNITED STATES
reviews: 75
10. Re: Split time between Zihua and Ixtapa?

I agree with all the posts...chose one place and stay put at that hotel/resort for 7 days and migrate between the two towns as well as the various beaches..I guarantee in 7 days you will not run out of choices. Enjoyyyyy