We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zihua newbie - a few questions?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 46
Zihua newbie - a few questions?

Hola Zihua forumites!

We are taking our first trip to Zihua next week! My husband was last there over 25 years ago when he was a kid on his parents sailboat traveling all over Mexico. We both love Cabo (as you can tell), Los Barriles, P.V., Sayulita and surrounding areas, and are excited to stay and play in Zihua. We are traveling with our 9 year old daughter who will eat anything and is happy just to play in the ocean all day, while her parents laze at a beach bar enjoying the sun and some cervezas! We are staying at Casa Que Ve Al Mar, above Playa La Ropa in a beautiful condo!

I have been doing my research here, figuring out the location of restaurants and such. Im not much of a planner but I am a tripadvisor junkie as far as gathering info. on the above. We prefer cheap, tasty taquerias but also appreciate a nicer, splurge meal with a great view too.

I have read and printed out the "great food under $10" list. I have read that the airport isn't too much of a shark tank and to buy a taxi voucher for about 350 pesos inside near the exit. I know that we can walk to town and should most likely take a taxi back up the hill if it is dusk or to avoid a pretty hefty hike in the heat. Get pesos at an ATM either bank or commerical. Any other hot tips anyone wants to share?

A few questions:

Where can you recommend to hang out if we decide to go to Ixtapa for the day? Are there some nice hotels that have a day pass or dont care if you enjoy their chairs if you are buying drinks/food? Or beach bars?

We all like surfing and hope to check out Troncones. Is taking a taxi an advisable way to get there? We can hang out at Mi Casa Es Su Casa in Troncones, if we purchase drinks/food?

I dont have any concerns that will have a great time. I mostly just jumped on here to say hola and see anyone had any other info./tips/ideas...

Looking forward to getting my overdue tan lines back! 4 days until toes in the sand!

Minnesota
reviews: 8
1. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

Have a Great Trip!

I think you are going to be surprised at the difference in what a Peso gets you in Zihua as compared to Cabo.

As for Ixtapa day passes, since most all of the hotels have gone to the dreaded A.I. day passes are cost prohibitive IMO. Like 60-80 bucks per person.

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
2. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

You can visit Ixtapa without a day pass. Check out the Krystal Hotel or the Emporio hotel...both will be a great option for you. (Google them and see which you might enjoy most.) Just order some drinks, food, and enjoy the property. The major hotels in Ixapa are all like walking around the Cabo Marina area...ocean, then hotels, then across the street is Ixtapa Commercial area for shopping and restaurants....just really really small compared to Cabo!

Easy to catch a bus from your villa. Just take the bus that runs right by...hop on...no transfers...and take it downtown just past the mercado...Tell the driver you want the Ixtapa bus...he will let you know where to get out. There will most likely be a bus sitting there loading...and the helper will be hollering out Ixtapa. Best to get out by the Sunscape Dorado in Ixtapa...that way you can just walk around the Commercial area first...get a feel for it...then cross the street...and keep on walking to the Krystal and the Emporio...and see which one looks the best to you. Or do both!!! There is one beach bar...it is down the "lane" that goes to the Posada Real and the Dolphin place...You might want to check that bar out as well. Otherwise there are no beach bars in Ixtapa...only in Zihuatanejo...downtown, LaMadera and LaRopa...more than you have days to go to!!!

Coming back to Zihua...just stand outside either hotel along Ixtapa Blvd...and catch the bus back to Zihua...the driver will notify you when you get to ELEKTRA...that is where you want out...look across the street and that is where you started from! Walk down the street past the mercado to catch the bus back to Playa LaRopa area...it runs to about 7PM only...and he will stop right on the street by your villa.

Remember...do not swim at the downtown Playa Principle beach by the restaurants that are on the Fishermen's Walk...by the pier area (big pollution). And be VERY careful on the Ixtapa beach...watch the flags and ask the life guards about the safety of the waves the day you go there. It is the same as Cabo...tough undertow and surprises with suddenly big waves. Even walking near the edge you can suddenly be "attacked" by the big waves.

Enjoy the change of destination!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo
reviews: 26
3. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

Yes for sure you can hang out at Mi casa es su casa in Troncones- nice pool for cooling off- beautiful ocean view.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
4. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips! We will definitely ride the bus, way more fun than your average taxi! I like the idea of hotel hopping much more than buying a day pass (did I mention Im cheap..ha ha), of course we will be purchasing drinks and such from which ever establishment we decide on.

Thanks traveljudy for the bus info. I have been enjoying your posts about all your walkabouts in Cabo - many places I have never heard or or been to! Enjoyed your photos from the pedregal market! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time there!

Thanks Linda for confirming that we can lounge at Mi Casa en Troncones...it sounds perfect!

Keep the tips and info. coming!

UNITED STATES
reviews: 75
5. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

Welcome to the forum....

I'm with you ...I am a sponge for gathering info prior to leaving.

We also have stayed at the condo complex where you will be....great location for LaRopa as well as into town. Have a fabulous trip! Cheers!

Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 8
6. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

It sou des like you have all your questions answered but the lovely experts :). Just wanted to wish you a fantastic trip... We stayed right on Playa la Ropa and enjoyed every second of it..lots of restaurants right on the Playa for tostadas and cerveza..we have been home for 9 sleeps now, not ashamed to admit that a piece of my heart remains in Zihua .have a FANTASTIC trip!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 32
7. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

We stayed at Casa Que Ve Al Mar (in 'Marlin House', gorgeous!) too....lovely condo. You will enjoy it, you cannot help but fall in love with Zihua.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
8. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

thx everyone! Im sure we will love it too! What's not to like :)

Calgary
reviews: 88
9. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

We're just a few days into our first visit here and haviing a blast thanks to great Forum advice on lay of the land, food and things to try. Best tip was waking early to walk down to beach in front of Cafe Mexica to see all the fishermen come in with their catch of the day. A great slice of genuine Mexican life. Get there by 6:30 am and then breakfast while the fish deals go down! Did a cooking class with Monica at Patio Mexica today - with her help, made chiles rellano, tortillas and amazing beans. She's supersweet. Fantastic walking if you're up for the hills - sore calves but a drink at the end erases the pain! Enjoy!

Geneseo, Illinois
reviews: 32
10. Re: Zihua newbie - a few questions?

Think about a day trip to Troncones. We gave up Ixtapa many years ago for Z and more recently Troncones. You can taxi, bus or drive to Troncones. The bus will be a little more time consuming and most likely will have to walk from bus drop off to town. (2miles approx, probably not the best choice with 9 yr old). Troncones is quiet peaceful and has great beach. There are several small restaurants to plant yourself for the day. One of our favorites is Roberto's. if you want to think about staying in Troncones I can give you some suggestions. Think <$100.00/night right on the beach! Feel free to message me with questions. D