We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

Thinking about traveling to Zihu and renting a house. I have never stayed off a resort in Mexico and this will be the kids first trip abroad. The kids are 9, 10 & 11. here are my questions:

Is it safe?

Are the beaches as good as they look?

How much Spanish do I need to know, sorry for sounding so American.

Is it safe with getting the food, grocery store etc? I think that is it. I don't mean to sound paranoid,. Zihu sounds beautiful and I like that it is a little bit away from the hustle and bustle of tourist.

Any thoughts of houses/condos to rent and other tips or facts will be appreciated.

Thanks

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
1. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

Let's see...you got safety in your post...two times?? Even safety to get groceries?? Yikes...

You went to Pensacola on the last family and never asked ONCE about safety...

Sure you want to do this??

And keep in mind that Mexico is one of the Americas...

And it is Zihua...

Yes there are some beautiful condos to rent...or houses...and safely get groceries...you can also eat out ...and just have snacks at home so that your wife can enjoy the trip as well.

A smile will get you a long way in Mexico...they are such lovely people and help you with languages...and you will love it...

Take the kids snorkeling or fishing with Julio..he has kids about your kids ages...so he is good with them in the boat...let your wife go shopping while you and the kids walk around town, stop for a Michoacan treat...

Life is always good in Mexico...

2. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

Travel Judy,

Thanks for the information on Zihua... I know I sounded paranoid and yes, I need to get out of my comfort zone and just make it happen. Any suggesstions on condos or houses? Also, you mention Julio, any contact information for him? Thanks again.

Minnesota
reviews: 6
3. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

WRG,

Go to VRBO.com

There are plenty to sift though in both Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa.

Julio's tours is here:

http://www.juliostours.com/

If you want help with a house rental go here:

http://www.paradise-properties.com.mx/

Keith

Edited: 10:09 am, February 05, 2013
Illinois
reviews: 7
4. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

IF your kids want to be in the water and you want the best beach, you'll want to be near LaRopa. Your kids will probably enjoy the Sunday evening festivities in Zihua at the basketball courts and the early morning arrival of the fisherman (in the same area of el centro.)

FYI The beach in Ixtapa is even better although the waves can be pretty rough for youngsters. If you should decide to look at Ixtapa, check out condos in the Bay View properties.

My elderly parents and some of my co-workers think we're absolutely crazy to go anywhere near Mexico for vacations so it's okay to be a bit paranoid. But truly, you'll be fine and you'll be so glad you went.

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
5. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

Hey obsession, I hope your elderly parents and co-workers aren't paying attention to the murder rate in Cook County Illinois.

Vancouver Island...
reviews: 17
6. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

I've been taking my daughter to Mexico since she was 9 and understand your 'paranoia'. Its pretty easy to be wary Of the unknown, but really Zihua is a wonderful place with a pretty small town feel.

The beaches are great and good for kids-Ixtapa's beach does have much higher surf-i'd reccomend staying at the Barcello end of the beach -the Bay View Grand Residences are great!- that end of the beach does tend to have slightly less pounding surf. Its swimmable, but caution is advised!

Grocery shopping is easy, safe and fun! The markets have wonderful fresh fruits and veggies too! Pick up some Mycrodyn when there to soak your fruit and veg and they'll be good to go.

Staying off resort is really fun... You'll get a great feel for the place... Go and enjoy!!

Trail, Canada
7. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

Go , you will have a great time . You already know more spanish than you realize and pointing and gesturing work fine . Of course the media reports will scare a person but the reality is very calm and safe . The beaches are wonderful with so many to choose from , all offering many food and drink options for very reasonable prices . The town , small city I guess , is just that , small and easy to get around in the tourist zones and centro . Your kids will learn more through their own introspective observations than any book can provide . Enjoy

8. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

Thank you for all the information. Looking into to places to rent around the La Ropa beach; rather have the waves nice and calm than worry about the kids. Anything else to suggest please send it on, much appreciated input to everyone, thank you!

I read soemthing about alligators and the beach water, anything to that?

henderson
reviews: 3
9. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

go see...enjoy..

Thinking about traveling to Zihu and renting a house. I have never stayed off a resort in Mexico and this will be the kids first trip abroad. The kids are 9, 10 & 11. here are my questions:

Is it safe? ****very, use the exact same caution you would in any major city in the U.S. and you will be completly safe.

Are the beaches as good as they look? ****Lovely...each are unique and you can even zip over to Ixtapa and check out their beach.

How much Spanish do I need to know, sorry for sounding so American.** the key thing is no matter how bad your spanish is..at least try..it's the respectful thing to do...you will be fine. If you know the basics..you will do fine. Use a big smile when trying and you will find all you need if they can't help you they will call someone over w/ some English.

Is it safe with getting the food, grocery store etc? I think that is it. I don't mean to sound paranoid,. Zihu sounds beautiful and I like that it is a little bit away from the hustle and bustle of tourist. **** the little Tienda's scattered everywhere are great..the OXO is great an we love stocking up at the Commercial Mexicana...it's like a mini Sams club they have it all! and reasonable prices we use our credit card to charge up a bunch of stuff we need and got a great rate on the peso exchange and didn't have to deplete our cash.

Any thoughts of houses/condos to rent and other tips or facts will be appreciated. **** we used VRBO website...many, many lovely choices on there. We stayed at the Condo complex Casa Que Vel El Mar or something like that....tons of great condo's in this complex and it's close to laropa and a quick walk to town.

Thanks

*********** you are welcome. We absolutely love Zihua. Your kids will love playing on the beach on Laropa...head over to las gatas and do some snorkeling...and go down to Madera for a little easy body surfing...ENJOY! I say GO FOR IT! We can't wait to go back and we have been all over mexico and this is one of our favorite towns for it's charm, how safe it is, how friendly the people are and the food oh my the food. Good and reasonable....and the weather!! always fantastic!

Edited: 2:46 pm, February 06, 2013
UNITED STATES
reviews: 47
10. Re: Family Trip w/ Kids Winter 2013

We absolutely loved Zihua on our first trip there in March 2012...we stayed at the Hotel irma...we walked EVERYWHERE we took water taxi's to Las Gatas...we hired a fishing boat, we took taxi's we hung out on La madera we hung out on Laropa...we walked to the commercial Mexicana and never once did we ever feel ill at ease. We were there for Carnival and loved it.

I went back in Late November and chose to rent a place off VRBO website via Harriet who frequents this site.

we were at Sueno Del Mar I believe it was (Don't have my notes handy) but we lovedddddddd it! Two bedroom..super close to laropa, outstanding views, infininty pools all at a great price and walking distance to so much.

We were planningo on heading back there this winter but were swayed to another location with a "gift' of a trip elsewhere.

We loved the area and are seriously going back there again around U.S. Thanksgiving 2013 if we can find good airfare rates etc...

I highly recommend the other suggestions given...go just be wise of your surroundings at all times.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo