We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barra de Potosi

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 1
Barra de Potosi

I have read some of the older posts regarding Barra de Potosi but am looking for suggestions of how to best explore that area for one day. From prior forum entries it seems that there is kayaking, a lagoon, snorkeling at a cove in Manzanilla (is this different from Playa Manzanillo?) Less interested (if at all, in fishing or biking). I'm going to contact Avi, of course, just hoping someone can give me a 'context' for this particular area/activity. Thanks

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
reviews: 65
1. Re: Barra de Potosi

Barra is a very, very small village with a couple of dirt roads and not much to do except take a tour with Avi, visit the refuge and have lunch on the beach. There is no Manzanilla and Playa Manzanillo can only be reached by boat. From Las Gatas, it is located on the opposite side (south) of that peninsula.

Seattle
2. Re: Barra de Potosi

I hear you - I was reading from a posting at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g658779-i14705-k48…

I'm misinterpreting something???

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
3. Re: Barra de Potosi

No the poster is confused.

There is an isolated beach with only 2 residents now that 1 of 3 has passed. A turtle raising farm a lovely lagoon & miles of beach. It is Valentina. Avi can take you there.

At onetime the sister of the 3 would cook us a excellent fish dinner IF fish were available but we always took a couple of BBQ Chickens just in case. Not sure if that is still possible.

You might contact

JR Sanchez at 044-755-100-4793 or zihuacab@yahoo.com as another option to get there.

He grew up in the US so speaks perfect English who returned to his native Zihua starting a cab company with his family.

He also can take you on day or overnight trips in the area.

Seattle
4. Re: Barra de Potosi

OK, I'm starting to get it... So where does one go for that perfect picturesque clear blue water lagoon cove kayak adventure ? :-)

Metepec
5. Re: Barra de Potosi

... Avi is just one option; there are others ... What refers to kayak ask at Enramada Rosita (at the Lagoon) for Cheli or Toño and at Enramada "Vuelvan los Gaviotas" for Arturo. This is just to show other options...

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
6. Re: Barra de Potosi

Yes the kayaking is very easy. Lagoon is shallow, no tide so rather safe other than an occasional Croc! LOL.

No not to worry. But 100 pesos per hour.

Find the tree canopy covered passage for entrance into another world.

Woodside
reviews: 14
7. Re: Barra de Potosi

We went today. Got on the water by 9am with overcast skies. I have never seen so many birds in La Barra in all my years. There were thousands. It was almost psychedelic with the sun and clouds reflected in the water and thousands of birds in the mangroves and the sky and fish jumping from the water as if they were in a frying pan. We were transfixed.

We ate our lunches on the kayaks. Bliss.

We went without a guide. Don’t expect clear blue water. It is brackish.

Harriet

Seattle
8. Re: Barra de Potosi

Thanks! At 100 pesos that is only $8; seems like a much better deal than trying to bring our own kayaks with us...... Hariett - did you rent kayaks? Where? And Peddler, you hint of another world is beyond intriguing - any further clues on where to get kayaks, and how to find this canopy covered portal to the future?

Woodside
reviews: 14
9. Re: Barra de Potosi

You can rent kayaks from any of the enramadas on the lagoon side of the beach. We paid $50 XN /hour. The covered entry I think is on the right not too far as you are paddling out. It looks like a tunnel in the mangrove.

Harriet

UNITED STATES
reviews: 55
10. Re: Barra de Potosi

Harriet...you are still in zihua??? one word...

Jealousssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!! :)

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo