We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FLORENCE,AL
reviews: 1
5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

First time to Zihuantanejo . Booked for 1st week in December 2013, so have plenty of time to plan. If you could recommend 5 must do things, what would they be? It will be just me and the wife . Have 8 days to experience this part of Mexico. Thanks for any advice.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 11
1. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

1. Go to La Ropa Beach, rent a lounge chair, get served drinks, and eat a fresh whole fish with tortillas, salsa, etc.

2. Spend a day at Las Gatas beach, do exactly the same as above

3. Eat. Go into El Centro and explore. Many on here have favorite restaurants that can be shared. The markets, the streets, the vendors, the culture, experience it all in town.

4. Sunday is the outdoor weekly festival in the center of town which is near the basketball court on the water. Do exactly as number 3. Eat and enjoy the people.

5. Do a day at Barra de Potosi near the airport, have drinks at the Capella in Ixtapa or at Amuleto on La Ropa, see the croc sanctuary at Playa Linda (very close), and maybe do a sunset cruise on the Picante or take a day trip to Ixtapa Island.

Just depends on what is important to you and how much time you have. Some people never leave the beach. Enjoy.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 32
2. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

You should get a few different lists! :)

My five:

#1 - go deep sea or inshore fishing- fishing is almost as good in this area as Cabo! See list of Fishing Captains to the right under 'Top Questions'.

#2 - go to Ixtapa Island for the day, snorkel at Playa Coral, hang out at Playa Varadero and enjoy the view.

#3 - start at the main pier on Playa Principal and walk allllll the way to Las Gatas. the last bit is over some slippery rocks, care required! It should take you about three hours, counting stops for drinks and/or lunch. Hang out a while then take a water taxi back to the pier. (You can snorkel at Las Gatas, too.)

#4 - go visit Barra de Potosi for the day. Instructions here:

www.zihuatanejo-ixtapa.com/barra/barra1.htm

#5 - go visit the Parthenon above Playa La Ropa.

flickr.com/photos/andishehnouraee/2971910895/

After go to one of several of the beach restaurants for lunch.

Illinois
reviews: 8
3. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

If it's your first time, the must-do items in Zihua are seeing the fisherman with their catch in the early morning hours (this is what the whole town is about, after all) and then walking a few blocks away from the water to the mercado.

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
reviews: 69
4. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

Do all of the above but most important is spending a day on the water where you see the area from a different perspective. You can fish, snorkel or do both.

henderson
reviews: 3
5. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

Have Breakfast at Elvira's...Mexican eggs, toast juice...

Have a day just hanging out on Laropa...stopping at the various places having a cold one here and a cold one there

Have happy hour at Hotel Catalina overlooking Laropa at Sunset 2x1 and a very nice bartender (you do not have to be a guest)

have an awesome dinner at Tamales Any (sounds like ANNIE)

check out the fisherman early a.m. and watch the area come alive

Victoria, BC
reviews: 4
6. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

Agree with all that has been posted. The one I would add as an absolute must do is to spend a Thursday afternoon at the Santa Prisca Pozoleria. A few gringos, mostly locals eating awesome pozoli and cold beers in a quaint courtyard setting. Great music and very inexpensive. Try some of their homemade muscal, very tasty but be careful it packs quite a buzz. Taxi will know how to get there as it's off the beaten track, get there before 2:00 or there will be a lineup. We were in Zihua for two weeks at Xmas and this was a highlight. Only open on Thursdays to my knowledge.

Grant

Lewiston, California
reviews: 67
7. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

Don't believe in "musts" but dinner at Poco Loca is a excellent opportunity to enjoy good food in a truly Mexican/Zihua setting.

Best pico de gallo in my 70 plus years.

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
reviews: 69
8. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

I believe in "musts" and this is it for me, peddler and all of the locals. It's the first restaurant that I go to upon arrival in town. The tacos al pastor and the choice in baked potato's are fantastic. Opens about 5:00pm. You can see the excellent reviews by clicking on "Restaurants" on the left hand side of this page.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 32
9. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

Poco loca? Or Papas Locas? Or....?

Still have not been to the potato place. Definitely, next time.

Lewiston, California
reviews: 67
10. Re: 5 Must Do Things in Zihuantanejo/Ixtapa .

You got me Rissask. Guess the ole guy had a brain fart.

Lo Siento to Papa Locas

As a diabetic those stuffed "tators" are dangerous. While no longer on insulin I have to double up on my oral pills to eat one. So I usually stick with the tacos with lots of Pico de Gallo/

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo