We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Picton, Canada
reviews: 11
South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

We have always gravitated to the south of end of Los Muertos, south of the sea horse sculpture for the peace and quiet. It was always a great area to get away from the noise of the rest of Los Muertos beach to people watch and enjoy the tranquility of the ocean waves. Unfortunately, this winter that last bit of beach has been ruined by the loud, base thumping music from Mantamar Beach Club . Bar & Grill and restaurant operated by Cafe des Artistes.

Even sitting 1500' south of them, you can hear the constant base thump thump thump. On the reviews of Mantamar Beach Club here at Trip Advisor, numerous people have said the music at the beach club is too loud -- but the owners dismiss this as not liking the music. They miss the point that their music volume is disturbing people well beyond their property ... in our case, some 1500' south.

Many people in the area where we sit including us have walked down and asked them to turn down the volume or move their speakers only to be told to leave the property and mind their own business.

We live up on Amapas and most days of the week, our terrace is unusable because of the usic levels from the beach club.

We have watched the owners of the place (Lans Department Store and Cafe des Artistes) arrive and the music is immediately turned down. As soon as they leave, the music is cranked back up.

It is unfortunate that this is allowed to go on as it has ruined the last stretch of Los Muertos Beach. If you want quiet beach, you will have to traverse over the hill to the next beach.

256 replies to this topic
wisconsin
reviews: 156
221. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

You can't call them beach clubs any more. They tend to extend their chairs darn near to the water. Call them Water Clubs. Pretty soon you'll have to call it Los Muertos Water

Regina, Canada
reviews: 19
222. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

Okay, pages of discussion, but now a need for a current answer. We are staying at the Tropicana for two weeks, beginning in less than three. We have loved it there, most recently one year ago this month. My son and his wife are joining us for their first PV visit. Will we have our - and their - trip ruined by the boom box down the street??

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 106
223. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

You are far enough away at the Tropicana that Mantamar shouldn't effect you very much if at all - more problematic may be Blue Chairs and Green Chairs especially if there is a big national holiday during your stay. Plus, they (whoever "they" are) are allowing people to set up a full bar and a sound system turned up full blast right in front of Playa Bonita's concession boundary. Drove us off the beach for a whole three day long weekend in November. In the recent past the music from the top floor of Fusion Gourmet directly across from the Tropicana has been a problem but I know the Tropicana has been fighting them over it - may be that the issue has been resolved.

Edited: 11:43 am, January 06, 2015
Regina, Canada
reviews: 19
224. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

Thanks Fred T. We have heard the music from Blue Chairs, but it has never been a problem, and has shut down by midnight on the few nights it has been going. Hopefully we will no worries from further down the beach as you suggest. We are counting the days til we go. It is VERY cold here on the prairies.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 67
225. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

I spent mid day at Mantamar in December and it was virtually empty. No music. More staff than patrons.

Picton, Canada
reviews: 11
226. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

Yesterday (January 7) we climbed over the hill at the south end of Los Muertos and spent the day in the little cove there. Very quiet however, as soon as we started back up the hill to return to Los Muertos beach, you could hear the base thumping from Mantamar. The music itself was not loud as you got to Mantamar but you could hear that base thump thump thump from the top of the hill and it got louder as you approached Mantamar. They continue to ruin the last bit of beach that used to be so quiet. Of course, the base thumping reverberates up to our condo on Amapas but fortunately it stops by sunset thankfully!

Saskatchewan, Canada
227. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

I just stayed at the Tropicana and spent most of my time between Blue Chairs/Ritmos and Mantamar. The music is loud when at Mantamar but not really that bad anywhere else. I don't really see the need to complain when there is so much open beach to choose from. The area was busy the entire time I was there so I think most who are complaining are in the minority.

The place caters to gay men who enjoy listening to music. If this isn't your demographic then I don't understand why you don't head somewhere more enjoyable.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
228. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

I call it 'humping' music, LOL

Saskatchewan, Canada
229. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

JR... I agree... which is what I'm in the mood for sometimes. Very few areas are as gay friendly as that stretch of PV while most of the world caters to straights. I think if you don't like the humping music down there there are lots of straight and family friendly areas to the immediate north.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 3
230. Re: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music

Thank you for weighing in S'katch. Nice to hear a younger (under 35) perspective on the PV forum!

During your recent visit, you may have noticed how much (and how rapidly) the neighborhood(s) on the south side are changing. As such, the folks who would disagree with you most vehemently may be the longtime condo owners who had hoped to age in place in the "PV" they knew when they purchased their little slice of paradise. You're right, though, about the history of the neighborhood. Seems like it has enjoyed a fairly long run of peaceful & prosperous coexistence among gay/straight/Canadian/American/Mexican/younger/older/wealthy/thrifty folks. Hopefully that will continue through the never-ending wave of redevelopment gathering steam. We'll see.

Reply to: South end of Los Muertos beach - ruined by base thumpy music
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted