We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Forks, North...
First Timers

As I type this, it is currently -20 degrees with a windchill of -45 degrees so it's safe to say I cannot wait to fly south for a bit. Anyway, it will be my wife's and my first time in PV come March. We were wondering what you experts think are the best things to do there as a couple. We definitely like the touristy things but also enjoy doing things that wouldn't necessarily be considered tourist traps. Ya know, best restaurants, bars (no nightclubs), beaches, I suppose shopping, and maybe an excursion or two? Basically, whatever you think a young active couple would enjoy so let's hear it. And a huge thanks in advance!

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 58
11. Re: First Timers

I agree with seeing town first, and I love town and I never tire of walking all over, but I wouldn't just stay in town.

That's what I like about PV, I can be in a quaint little fishing village just south of PV in the jungle ....on the local public bus in 30 minutes. It's very relaxing out there, and life is simple....I'm talking about Boca de Tomatlan. PV is seaside city life, places like Yelapa and Boca are seaside rural life. And they aren't heavily touristy.

Also out that way is the Vallarta Zoo, where you can feed every animal except the big cats....while in their enclosures. If you think feeding a gentle giraffe that you can touch....would be fun....don't miss it. You can also hold monkey's and baby or young tigers, lions and the occasional jaguar.

Manitoba, Canada
reviews: 79
12. Re: First Timers

We use Charly's Sport Fishing for all our tours. They give the personalized service and best prices that we have found. They have a website and their tours go thru Vallarta Adventures but they offer better prices. Read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor from them and you will find they are very good. You'll have a great time here. See you soon.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
13. Re: First Timers

You can not have "better prices" than Vallarta Adventures, or Vallarta Adventures will remove you as a vendor !

Saskatchewan
reviews: 29
14. Re: First Timers

About how long of a bus ride is it from Puerto Vallarta to Boca and then how long of a boat ride to Yelapa. Is there snorkelling at Yelapa?

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
15. Re: First Timers

35min on the bus, 20min on the water taxi, Yelapa is not very good for snorkeling.

Saskatchewan
reviews: 29
16. Re: First Timers

Thanks so much for your quick response. So it looks like we should head for Caletas if we want to snorkel? I understand that the PV area isn't famous for snorkelling, but we are just looking for a the best place within the area.

Ontario's...
reviews: 3
17. Re: First Timers

A nice place to watch sunset is Coco Tropical on the beach. Go between 5 & 6.30. Its happy hour then & a nice mix of people @ the bar. Say Hi to Jimmy @ the bar, drinks white wine, nice guy. Have camera ready for a fantastic sunset.

dallas, texas
reviews: 67
18. Re: First Timers

Once you have done all the touristy things, take a city bus to Pitillal (20 minutes from El Centro, 10 from the bay), and get off at the plaza, by the church. You will be in middle of a typical Mexican village, with all the shops, restaurants, and local sights that do not necessarily cater to tourists. I have American ex-pat friends who live a couple of blocks away, and it is very safe there, day and night. Nothing fancy, but you can get a taste of what it is like to actually live in Mexico, rather than just hitting the tourist areas. For 13 pesos, round trip, it's a great way to get deeper into PV.

19. Re: First Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 24, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta